Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bamboo: Promoting a plan variable as metadata

Dieter Bogdoll July 5, 2018

Hi all,

I would like to use the maven version number during a maven release to be displayed in the metadata tab of bamboo. How do I do that?

On the metadata tab it says "You can specify your own metadata in the build process via add-ons.". But with this URL https://marketplace.atlassian.com/search?product=bamboo&query=metadata I can't find anything related to that.

Also I couldn't imagine that is that hard it is to specify own metadata within a Bamboo job.

Best regards,
Dieter

1 answer

0 votes
Jeremy Owen
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 5, 2018

Hey Dieter,

You can write out the maven variable number to a properties file during the build and use the Inject Bamboo variables task to read it back in:

Setting the scope of the variables to Result will ensure that anything is injected is available on the metadata tab of the job (also accessible by other stages in the plan, and releases created from that build result).

Hope this helps. :)

Dieter Bogdoll July 9, 2018

Hi Jeremy,

thanks for your response, that would help indeed. But I could not confirm that this is working for me. I am using the "Maven POM Value Extractor configuration" for fetching the GAV values and are storing them as Variable Type "Result".

On my metadata tab I don't see any such bamboo.maven.* variable.

Since which Bamboo version is this supported? I'm currently using 6.2.5 build 60212.

Here are the logs with respect to the POM Extractor:

simple 09-Jul-2018 07:21:17 Starting task 'Maven POM Value Extractor' of type 'com.davidehringer.atlassian.bamboo.maven.maven-pom-parser-plugin:maven-pom-parser-plugin'
simple 09-Jul-2018 07:21:17 Extracted groupId from POM. Setting RESULT variable maven.groupId to [XXXXXXXXXX]
simple 09-Jul-2018 07:21:17 Extracted artifactId from POM. Setting RESULT variable maven.artifactId to [XXXXXXXXXX]
simple 09-Jul-2018 07:21:17 Extracted version from POM. Setting RESULT variable maven.version to 0.0.2-SNAPSHOT
simple 09-Jul-2018 07:21:17 Finished task 'Maven POM Value Extractor' with result: Success

And here is the metadata tab of my build:

metadata.png

Jeremy Owen
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 10, 2018

I think that's the Metadata tab for the plan. It should be in the metadata tab for the Job. :)

To do that, from the same screen; click the expander on the left hand side of the UI (it looks like a little >) to expand all the Jobs in the Build Result and then select the Job which has the POM Value Extractor > Metadata. Make sure to then scroll all the way down the page to the Variables section.

Dieter Bogdoll July 10, 2018

Hi Jeremy,

thanks for this tipp. I always have overseen that arrow.

(For me the arrow is on the left side though.)

Thanks a lot,
Dieter

Jeremy Owen
Atlassian Team
July 10, 2018

You're most welcome and my apologies. I certainly meant to say left hand side. I'll edit my response to correct it.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events