cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bamboo Java Memory

Ron Chan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 10, 2011

Hi,

Initial Java Heap Size (in MB)Can anyone help me understand how to configure/optimize the java memory on Bamboo?

My current settings in wrapper.conf are:

# Initial Java Heap Size (in MB)
wrapper.java.initmemory=512

# Maximum Java Heap Size (in MB)
wrapper.java.maxmemory=1024

wrapper.java.additional.2=-XX:MaxPermSize=256m

I have tweaked these numbers and have not seen any noticeable performance differences.

I would believe information such as this would be helpful in their Administrative Guide.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

4 answers

0 votes
Colin Goudie
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 1, 2011

Ron,

It's not that these settings shouldn't be modified, but you need to apply some science to it. Because something is slow could be any number of reasons, throwing more RAM may not help at all.

As an example, slow performing pages can be the result of poor caching of crowd user information causing frequent authentication requests to Crowd. This would have nothing to do with heap memory. (As an example, not your case)

0 votes
Przemek Bruski
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 1, 2011

Tweaking memory settings will not help in your case. You should contact support, they will be able to assist you with increasing responsiveness of your Bamboo instance.

0 votes
Ron Chan
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 13, 2011

We have experienced extreme slowness of the Bamboo GUI. Navigating from one page to the next takes up to 20 seconds each time.

Why should these settings not be modified. Should they not be tweaked to take advantage of a higher performing server as opposed to a slower one?

I just wish there was documentation on how to do this.

0 votes
Przemek Bruski
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 10, 2011

What are you trying to achieve? Are you running into out of memory errors? These limits should not be modified unless you are experiencing problems.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events