Bamboo Deployment Plan Using Nexus (or other maven repo) for Artifact Sharing

Andrew Pitt March 23, 2014

Currently, our build artifacts (snapshots and releases) get uploaded to our Nexus instance (a maven repository). Our Nexus repo is our definitive location for artifacts. When an application is deployed to an environment (DEV, UAT, QA, PROD), it is taken directly out of Nexus.

We've been looking at Bamboo "Deployment Plans", but the issue we are having is with using Bamboo shared artifacts.

Since a build already places the desired artifact into Nexus, we would much rather use Nexus as for sharing artifacts, rather than Bamboo. Is there any way to do this? It seems wrong for us to be putting an artifact into Nexus, but also keeping a copy of that artifact in Bamboo as a shared artifact to to go from one stage/plan to another. Ideally, we would just fetch it back from Nexus as required.

My concern is that there may end up being some discrepancy between our official sanctioned artifacts (those in Nexus) and whatever Bamboo is using as a shared artifact.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
roy_lyons
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 24, 2014

I saw this plugin a couple of weeks ago and it seem like it is doing what you want it to do...

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.atlassian.bamboo.maven.sharing.bamboo-maven-artifact-sharing-plugin

In theory, the following could also work... I envision that you could save GAV coordinates in a text file to be read in by the inject properties plugin.... and use those values within https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/org.gaptap.bamboo.maven.maven-artifact-download-pluginin your deploy plan.

Andrew Pitt March 25, 2014

Thanks Roy,

I've accepted your answer because I think those options are about the best I can hope for at this time. Unfortuantely, neither is really all that great (not your fault, of course).

The first option looks very promissing until you realize that it creates local throw-away maven repos for each plan. I find this to be a bit of a head scratcher, since it doesn't really offer any benefit over the current Bamboo artifact sharing. If you could configure Bamboo to use your actual repository (like Nexus), then my problem would be solved!

I did look briefly into the 2nd option, but it's more work than it should be, and likely fragile as well.

My hope is that Atlassian puts more work into the Maven Artifact Sharing Plugin.

Thanks again!

Andrew

Jorge Suarez September 24, 2018

Hi All,

We are 4 years later now and it seems that Bamboo still does not natively support storing shared artifacts in Nexus or other popular repos, with the exception of Amazon S3.  Am I missing something, or does it seem that there is no way to specify Nexus a a remote storage location for artifact.  Currently, I just have a step in my deployment plan that downloads the artifact from Nexus using Maven plug-in, and then proceeds to do the rest.

Thanks,

Jorge

Like # people like this
Gintohewoo May 15, 2019

I agree, I would prefer to use an existing artifact repository, rather than bamboo sharing, is there any way to bump this or possibly request such a useful feature?

Like Gentian Licenji likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events