cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bamboo 7.0 Divergent branches for Deployment

Deleted user March 30, 2020

Hey,

Before start I'm using Bamboo YALM Specs 

I'm testing the new version of Bamboo and it was great to add Divergent branches, but I'm testing that and is only possible divergent branch for Plans.
I want to update in my Dev branch the Plan and the Deployment step and it's not possible.

I can see the changes for Plan but for deployment, it's not possible as a workaround I tried to add another deployment structure with a different name but still don't showing in Deploy part.

This someone know what is the best way to do that?

1 answer

0 votes
Gerhard Forster
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 15, 2020

Hi @[deleted],

Thanks a lot for getting in touch with Atlassian's Community and posting your question here in the Bamboo section.

Well, first thing to say, divergent branches are officially called Specs branches and that's so because you must be using Bamboo Specs so to utilize them. Bamboo 7.0.x supports this new feature for Java and also for YAML Specs.

Please find our Bamboo Specs Tutorial as a great reference for you.

Basically Specs branches are enhancing the Bamboo plan branch feature. They now break especially with one former limitation, namely plan branch configuration being inherited from the master build configuration.

So Specs branches are now capable of creating custom build plans working on any feature branch differnt from master. And that makes them far mor flexible e.g. by using their own triggers, stages or even jobs.

However, there are some further prerequisits to take into account other than that they can only be used per "configuring as code".

• Code and Bamboo Specs must be stored in the same Bitbucket Server repository, at the level of bamboo-specs folder.
  • The repository must be set up as a Linked repository of type Bitbucket Server
  • And, last but not least, plan branch detection has to be enabled.

Though, this feature also comes along with some limitations, like default repository is inherited from the master and cannot be changed and also the below one

Plan branch configuration is not available for deployment projects. Bamboo ignores any Bamboo Specs on deployment projects in plan branches.

which is stated in Enhanced plan branch configuration and that is exactly what you aimed to do.

However, typically this is not a requirement since a deployment is supposed to be connected to a build plan.

Thus you should be able to use Specs branches for builds, and there have all flexibility needed. So what is built or fetched from the repository in your build plan, you may use as is or package it and either share it as an artifact with a deployment environment or also copy it out per a Bamboo SCP task, for example.

We hope that this clarifies things and still allows you to use Specs branches.

In case you'd have any further doubt or concern or see an urgent need to use Specs branches from within a deployment environment, please come back to as per this thread.

Thanks and all the best,
Gerhard

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events