Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bamboo 6.3.1 Update Cloned plan configuration

Sabarish February 8, 2018

Hi,

I'm using REST API for clone an existing plan. After that I'm trying to use Bamboo Specs for update few existing configuration in cloned plan. Since we are using new Plan instance in code it overrides all the cloned configuration. Is there any options to update the cloned project configuration?

private Plan createPlan() {

return new Plan(project(),"cloned-service-develop", "TEMP8")
.description("Plan cloned from Bamboo Specs for test");
}

1 answer

0 votes
Alexey Chystoprudov
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 8, 2018

Bamboo Specs overwrites full plan configuration. So if you want just to update it, export it to Bamboo Specs and then do changes at Java code. They will be applied to plan config, try to avoid further UI configuration changes as they will be overwritten by Bamboo Specs execution

Sabarish February 8, 2018

I want to do this in fully automated manner. But every time I don't want to export the Bamboo Specs. For example in base plan if any configuration is modified frequently I need to export Bamboo Specs from UI. To avoid this manual process is there any other option available to update plan using Bamboo specs?

Grzegorz Lewandowski
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 8, 2018

What's wrong with managing all plans via Bamboo Specs? Then you don't have to use clon. You can leverage all benefits of Bamboo Specs like, syntax highlighting, IDE support, offline validation. You can extract common parts (aka. clone) to some method or part of config which will be used by all plans. Then you can override other parts which are should be changed and upload all plans right away. 

In this way you benefit from automation and use the tool how it was designed.  If you want to mix both UI and Specs then I don't think it's easy to automate. 

Specs were designed as "full plan definition" and they will never support "update these parts only"  workflow  which is painful to maintain. 

leozilla October 29, 2019

I have a similar problem.
I would like to create environments on the fly in the UI by cloning and editing an existing env.
The use case is to have an environment per kubernetes namespace, where basically only the kubernetes namespace variable changes.
I do not know those environments beforehand so I cant encode them in the bamboo specs. Every developer should be able to create such a new env on the fly, to be able to deploy to a new namespace.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events