Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrating my bamboo server to Apple Silicon

Myke February 7, 2023

Hello all,

So I'm in the process of figuring out the best solution for my company's build server as it's an old 2013 Mac Pro that is now end of life for Apple macOS and Xcode releases. Because of this I'm looking at moving to a new Apple Silicon Mac. I have a few questions regarding Bamboo server migration and Apple Silicon support.

I'm currently running bamboo 6.6.1 and wanted to know if I can still run that version on Apple Silicon without issues?

As far as migration questions, is there a migration tool available?

How does migration work? Does it copy over all my projects, agents and settings?

Will plugins that worked with my current setup continue to function on Apple Silicon (the plugin in question is the PlasticSCM plugin) - this might be a question for the Plastic support folks.

If I'm unable to use my old out of date (but still fully working) version of bamboo, how does moving to the most up-to-date version work?

Really just want to get a good idea on how this process will work, and if Bamboo is natively supported on Apple Silicon and if not how the performance is with it being emulated.

thanks for the help!

1 answer

Suggest an answer

0 votes
Viktor Zech [Decadis AG] February 8, 2023

Hello @Myke ,

It is unlikely that Bamboo 6.6.1 will run natively on Apple Silicon without issues. MacOS has becoming deprecated for server and support with Version 7.2 for the operating system and will end in coming releases. Agents are not affected.
https://confluence.atlassian.com/bamboo0702/supported-platforms-1031178907.html

The migration process typically involves copying over your projects, agents, and settings to the new server.

The compatibility of plugins, such as the PlasticSCM plugin, with Apple Silicon will depend on the specific plugin and whether it has been updated to support the new architecture.
You should check with the vendor of the plugin for more information.

Upgrading to the latest version of Bamboo will involve following the standard upgrade process.
The standard upgrade path for Bamboo involves the following steps:

1. Backup: Before upgrading, make sure to take a backup of your Bamboo server, including the Bamboo Home directory and the database.
  2. Test upgrade: Before upgrading in production, it's a good practice to test the upgrade in a staging environment (e.g. a Mac with Apple Silicone) to identify any potential issues.
    Upgrade Bamboo: Upgrade Bamboo by following the instructions provided in the Atlassian documentation, which include downloading the new version, stopping the Bamboo service, and running the upgrade script.
  3. Upgrade plugins: After upgrading Bamboo, check if any of your plugins require an upgrade as well, and follow the instructions provided by the plugin vendor.
  4. Start Bamboo: After completing the upgrade, start the Bamboo service and verify that everything is working as expected.
  5. Monitor: After the upgrade, monitor the system to ensure that it's running smoothly and address any issues that may arise.

Note that the specific upgrade process may vary based on your specific Bamboo installation and configuration, so it's important to consult the Atlassian documentation for the latest information. https://confluence.atlassian.com/bamboo/bamboo-upgrade-guide-720411366.html

Best regards
Viktor

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events