Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jira and its Marketplace

Emmanuel_A June 26, 2024

I understand the marketplace is an opportunity for developers to make unique addons, apps and features to Jira Service Management, in order to improve versatility, be flexible and of course one shoe doesn't fit all.

Jira Service Management has some really cool features. But its biggest let down and disappointment is its marketplace. If I want a feature of add-on, I need to install a 3rd party app and pay them a fee per user/per month. I mean let's be honest half the apps are simple mechanisms that don't really wow anyone and are features that should be a part of the Jira tool already. 

Example for simple daily checklist feature is 10c per user per/per month. I mean it's not the amount, but the fact you need to pay for a simple feature, is kind of humorous to me. Add a risk management tool, where you categorise a risk likelihood and impact. $30 per month? becomes comical when you install it, It's so simple. Why can't Jira help its customers out and implement it themself. Unpopular opinion.

3 comments

Comment

Kieren
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 30, 2024

I'm pro Atlassian Marketplace, and not just because we've built an app for it... The Atlassian Marketplace is good for a few reasons:

1. Atlassian don't have the resources to build everything that customers want, and some things that customers want are very specific to them or their areas of business. The marketplace can fill in these gaps, where Atlassian can't prioritise building a feature or it's too niche. This might be where your Risk Management  example sits.
  2. The marketplace gives Atlassian the opportunity to see what works and what doesn't work. Some very popular products, like Timesheets by Tempo are actually niche as most customers don't have a use for them. But other products have broad appeal and use cases, and Atlassian does take notice of them. Two examples are:
    1. Code Barrel's Automations for Jira - This app was acquired by Atlassian in 2019 and is now a part of the core Jira experience.
    2. JXL a spreadsheeting tool for all your Jira issues - Atlassian have just released a competing feature, the Jira List View.
  3. The extra app cost can be annoying. For you to get the perfect Jira setup you may need to install some additional apps that increases the cost per user. But this is also a great opportunity for you to only pay for the features you need. If Jira built all the features we all wanted, I guarantee that Atlassian will find a way for you to pay for it, that's just business. Whether they build a new feature behind a higher priced premium or enterprise plan or behind another product like Atlassian Guard, they also need to make a return on their investment. The marketplace actually allows the basic Jira product to be leaner and cheaper for most customers.
  4. Finally, the marketplace can build features that Atlassian may not necessarily want in their products. Admin Automations (and others) is a good example of this, where the app is built to help reduce your bills by allowing you to automate which users have access to your products, or not. It may cost you a little bit per user, but you can save much more on the number of users you remove from Atlassian products.

Thoughts?

It's a great discussion idea, thanks @Emmanuel_A 

-Kieren
Co-Founder @ Smol Software | Ex-Atlassian

Like # people like this
Robert
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 30, 2024

I agree that having an all-in-one solution is the holy grail for software users. However, no software company can deliver such a solution, and Atlassian is no exception. Some vendors, such as Atlassian, Microsoft, and Apple, offer customers the ability to extend core features with third-party apps, while others do not and often complain that you have to pay for these additional features. The question you should ask is: what is the alternative to third-party apps (regardless of whether there is a marketplace or not)? The answer is a lack of features, which you cannot obtain even if you are willing to pay for them.

For instance, if you look at the Apple Store or Microsoft Store, you will see a lot of software that should ideally be part of Windows or macOS. The same is true for platforms like Monday.com and Azure DevOps. This is the nature of the market.

Additionally, consider that Jira has become so popular because Atlassian partners worldwide can develop solutions required by customers and then resell them on the Marketplace. This motivates partners to sell more Atlassian products.

You can find many free products on the Marketplace. If you cannot afford Timesheets by Tempo, you can get AppTime for free. Having a choice is always better.

Like # people like this
Emmanuel_A June 30, 2024

Thanks, guys, for your response.

Again, just my opinion as a user. Regardless, of cost, flexibility, options, blah blah blah, seems like a lot of these features in the marketplace are simple and easy functions with costs associated to it, which I believe overall are not worth it.

Again, just my opinion as a user.

Andreas Springer _Actonic_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 30, 2024

@Emmanuel_A I have a simple question: what kind of app functionality would actually "wow" you and make you see the value of the Marketplace?

Like Kieren likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events