Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Database Picker performance and search

Ernesto Castro October 5, 2020

Hi,

I'm currently starting to use ScriptRunner for Jira and the database picker field is an awesome tool.

Currently I'm having two issues. First I want to introduce the use case. We want to add a field to assign a location the the issues, meaning which machine is having a but or requiring a new feature (we are a manufacturing company).

For this, we have a database with all the possible locations (tens of thousands) and created a Database Picker field that retrieves the ID of the location and the name. The name is sort of a path. For instances: <COUNTRY>.<PRODUCTION_LINE>.<MACHINE>.

The two problems I see are:

* Performance. Displaying 100 issues and showing this columns value is slow (+10s).

* Search. I would like to be able todo searchs such as "locations starting with US.CONNECTICUT.*" to get all the issues under US Connecticut. I cannot due that as the issueFieldMatch function (allows regex) is looking for the value (the internal id) and not for the displayvalue.

What alternatives do I have? Is there a way of nicely resolving this with Database Picker? Which other option are available to solve this kind of problems?

1 answer

Suggest an answer

1 vote
Gonchik Tsymzhitov
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 3, 2021

Hi! 

Did you find some solutions?

Ernesto Castro January 4, 2021

Nop, just an ugly workaround: I created to fields, one RO text and the other RW that's a database picker.

Then with a script I assign to the RO text field the display value of the database picker every time it changes.

Ugly, but then I have the RO text field that I can use to search or display without performance issues.

Anyway, with Atlassian moving to 100% cloud solution in the future and ScriptRunner not supporting external resources in the cloud, all this goodies will disappear.

Still trying to think if I'm going to stay at all with Atlassian if I can not connect Jira to our internal servers.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events