Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I link to a confluence page on a new JIRA issue based on category?

Kyle Cabral October 7, 2015

Quick question.  Is there a way that I can automatically associate a confluence page on the creation of a bug, issue, etc that may be linked by some sort of tag or category.  I.E. I open up a bug, associate a certain type of category (let's say in this example, TEST), and have that automatically associate to a specific confluence page.

The reason for my question is I want to create documentation in confluence but as changes that affect the documentation come down the line, I want to be able to quickly reference that documentation and not have to find specific JIRA issues for the confluence page.  This way, if a JIRA issue is opened with a particular category then a certain confluence page is automatically linked.

Thoughts?

2 answers

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

0 votes
Volodymyr Krupach
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 8, 2015

You need to develop custom plugin for it. There number of ways to do something like this. Most straightforward that comes to my mind is to create Custom field plugin that introduces "tag field" and updates confluence content through confluence REST api (if possible).

Developer 1 August 23, 2019

The link between Jira and Confluence would be made in this case through REST API in Confluence right? or does anyone know if we can create the Confluence page link in a jira issue through REST API? I couldnt find any reference for it

Thanks in advance

0 votes
JK Thng October 7, 2015

Hi @Kyle Cabral, there is currently no way, that I know of, to automatically link a Confluence page to JIRA issues tagged with a specific label.

I'm interested to know more about how you intend to use this though. Can you elaborate more on that?

Kyle Cabral October 8, 2015

Hi JK Thng [Atlassian], Sure. The end goal is to ensure documentation is kept up to date during development. It's very common where we will develop a certain product, create documentation on the project and then send it out for custom use. After the product is complete, there is essentially an infinite number of iterations, enhancements, changes that happen to that same product. Currently, when a bug is submitted that is associated to that specific project there is no way for us to know that we need to update the associated documentation. We have to rely manually on remembering. If we could implement this tag type feature, it would be great. This will ensure that when issues/bugs are created for a specific product, that is automatically linked to the documentation and we know the documentation needs to be updated. Perfect scenario in my opinion would be something like this. Issue created Tag associated, I.E. "Hospital Documentation" Issue automatically linked to "Hospital Documentation" Confluence Page Now we have an easy way to recognize documentation changes and updates that are required.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events