• Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Attempt to delete empty sprint returns error: This issue cannot be edited because of its workflow status.

When I attempt to delete an empty sprint, that has not been started yet, get error: This issue cannot be edited because of its workflow status. Sprint has not been started, is on the Agile planning board, and is currently empty with no issues in it. I want to delete the empty Sprint from the Agile Planning board. When I attempt to delete the empty sprint get error: This issue cannot be edited because of its workflow status.

7 answers

1 accepted

18 votes
Answer accepted

Wanted to point you towards this article.

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/224548/how-do-i-delete-a-sprint-in-greenhopper

The sprint appears empty because issues that appear within the Agile boards green ("Closed") column do not appear in the planning phase.

When tickets are "closed" they cannot be updated, which is why the error is occurring when attempting to delete a seemingly empty Sprint.

If you do a JQL issue search "project = *ProjectName* AND sprint = *SprintToBeDeleted*" you'll see a list of the currently closed tickets that are associated with that sprint.

You would either need to re-open these tickets, or change your workflow temporarily to allow the editing of tickets in the closed status.

Absolutely stupid. Should be possible to close a sprint by force.

Like Thomas Rohrer likes this

I've got a sprint that has nothing in it (per project = *ProjectName* AND sprint = *SprintToBeDeleted*) and I still can't delete it! 

+1 Same issue

You should upvote the question, not provide a bogus answer.

+1 same issue, good anwer

+1 same issue, clear answer, problem solved

0 votes
Deleted user Jul 08, 2015

+1 same issue, good anwer

+1 Same issue.  Great answer.  Thanks for the help!

You should upvote the question, not provide a bogus answer.

I've got a different workaround that i use that doesn't require having to open all the closed tickets in that sprint.

Create a fake 'test' Jira ticket

Assign it to the sprint

Start the Sprint (start date today, end date tomorrow)

Move the test ticket from To Do/Open to Done

Close the sprint - this officially removes the sprint from your Agile board

This takes all of 30 seconds to do.

So instead of deleting a sprint you now have a fake ticket associated with a sprint you don't want? This is the worst workaround I can think of.

The worthless sprint will continue to show in all of the reports

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Agile

On-demand: Fireside chat with Atlassian on scaling agile organizations

Scaling an agile organization and setting it up for success over the long term is a hard thing to do. We hear a common set of questions from customers all the time, questions like: Can agile scal...

3,946 views 2 17
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you