Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"add dependency" auto populate with issues not working

Terrell Teague April 23, 2018

Has anyone experienced this and have an idea how to get around it?

When you go to add a dependency in JIRA Portfolio and you enter an issue to search to add, the dialog indicates “No Matches” when in fact there are matches. Attached is a screen shot showing issue TEHW-2075 is entered, it’s on our backlog, but the dialog indicates it can’t find it. Tried different Stories, restarting the browser, committing the current changes etc. to see if it would resolve the issue, but it doesn’t.

This issue happens periodically and when it does it’s very disruptive. It interrupts our planning sessions because this feature is the main reason we use Portfolio. The times it has happened in the past seems to resolve itself after some time period (hours).

Portfolio Add Dependent Issue Search Box Not Working.PNG

1 answer

0 votes
Earl McCutcheon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 1, 2018

Hi Terrell,

Since this is failing but later on you are seeing these values show up after a few hours, the behavior is just screaming that there is a performance or indexing issue on Jira preventing the value from showing up immediately, but later on the action is able to complete or is getting triggered by another action to clear up the index conflict.

I do not have a Definite answer on the cause here but have some recommendations to help you narrow it down, but this is going to require a bit of searching and testing, and since this is occuring at random there is not much to do in terms of recreating the issue if this is a BUG, so best case scenario is if you can narrow down the steps that trigger the error to occur or if you can catch a Error event in the logging.

I would recommend that you check the Support tools plugin for the Health Checks to see if there are any Index related errors noted, and also trigger a background index immediately after spotting the error to see if a index action resolves this immediately or if the autocomplete render continues to fail after indexing the instance.  Additional details on troubleshooting index issues can be found here:

I would also Recommend running the database integrity checker to see if there are any issues in a bad state. and checking the Browsers developer tools console output for any javascript errors.

If none of the above uncover anything this is going to need logging, check the logs for any visible errors while performing the action with default logging levels and if no errors are visible, I would recommend enabling the Portfolio Debug Logging Packages and tail the log output to see what occurs on a successful Dependency link and a failed dependency link, [Temporarily Set these to DEBUG | https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/logging-and-profiling-938847671.html#Loggingandprofiling-profiling_tempTemporarilyenablingprofiling] while performing the test and the Portfolio Logging packages are:

• com.atlassian.rm
  • com.raidiantminds

When It comes to performance issues this is going to be a bit of a deep dive into the configurations of the instance, logging and collecting additional system information, the following guide would be the best starting point:

Terrell Teague May 1, 2018

Thank you very much for the reply Earl. I'll pass this along to our JIRA admin.

Earl McCutcheon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 1, 2018

Hi Terrell,

If you do Find out what is causing this or you can narrow this down and collect an error or steps to reproduce please do let us know, as this would be a valuable fix if this does turn out to be a bug.

Terrell Teague May 2, 2018

Will do.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events