Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stories not appearing under epic though linked through epic link

Ramya Yarru March 10, 2021

Hello Team,

I have create a plan using filter and board as issue source and I have stories linked to Epic  using epic link but I don't have stories listed under epics in my plan. I do have bugs and other issues types.

Kindly suggest on what I could be missing or doing wrong.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Dave
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 10, 2021

Hi @Ramya Yarru ,

In addition to @Benjamin Morgan's suggestion, I'd also recommend taking a look at the following documentation page as it provides quite a comprehensive list of other things that you can check: https://confluence.atlassian.com/advancedroadmapscloud/troubleshooting-missing-issues-1026042894.html

Regards,

Dave 

Ramya Yarru March 11, 2021

@Dave @Benjamin Morgan Thank you for guiding me through, I see an issue with stories as it is being listed under Epics in "Scope" option of wizard. Any idea what could be causing it? apart from it I do have the stories in releases, filter and board appearing and it is not excluded. PFA.scope.PNG

Dave
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 11, 2021

What is the workflow state of the missing issues @Ramya Yarru ? If they are in a resolved state, when were they resolved?

Regards,
Dave

@Dave Taking an example of CWAP-7723, it is in progress and is unresolved. Any idea why this story is under epic rather than getting listed under story and in plan they appear under " issues without parent" rather than getting listed under related epic.

Dave
Atlassian Team
March 11, 2021

@Ramya Yarru Looking at the scrollbar in your screenshot it looks like you've not scrolled to the top of the list of issues.

Stories will appear when filtering from epic either under an expanded Epic or in an expanded section called "Issues without parent" ... without having access to your system it's hard to say for sure, but I'd expect that this is the reason.

The filter indicates the hierarchy level to start from.

Regards,

Dave

@Dave That's right I have stories under " issues without parent" and in scope they get listed under epics category and these stories does have epic linked to it using Epic link.

Also I have few bugs and features listed under issues without parents -> Story

How do I modify my filter to have a hierarchy where stories get listed under epic rather than in "issues without parent"

Our hierarchy is as follows:

Feature -> Epic -> Story

To get features:

issueFunction in portfolioParentsOf("issueFunction in epicsOf(\"project = cwap\")")

I'm using below filter to get children of features:

issueFunction in portfolioChildrenOf("filter=43516")

To get issues linked to epic I use:

issueFunction in issuesInEpics("filter = 43515") AND status != Done AND project in (CWAP, CWOW) AND "Team Responsible" = Apollo OR Project = CAE AND "Team Responsible" = Apollo

scope 1.PNGscope 2.PNG

Dave
Atlassian Team
March 11, 2021

Do the epics (that are missing from the plan) appear in the results of the JQL filter when you access it from the filter page? If so, could you check:

• the epics are not resolved
  • but if they are resolved, that they have a resolution date
  • that you're using that exact same JQL filter as an issue source for the plan

Regards,

Dave

Ramya Yarru March 12, 2021

@Dave I just realised that I have them but they appear under issues without parent, what could be causing that? they have epic link and their status is not done or resolved.

Dave
Atlassian Team
March 13, 2021

@Ramya YarruIt will be because the epic that they belong to is not being matched to one of the issue sources. Can you confirm that the epic appears directly in the issue sources configured for the plan (i.e. in the JQL filter results, board or project)

Regards,
Dave

1 vote
Benjamin Morgan
Atlassian Team
March 10, 2021

I'd start by checking that the filter and board issue source you are including returns the stories in the query. If you cannot see the stories when you run the filter directly then its possible your filter is excluding the stories somehow.

Next you could check if you have any view settings that might be hiding the story issue types? It is unlikely but is it possible you have something broken in the hierarchy configuration?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events