Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parent link use

Julia Hunter October 27, 2020

In Portfolio I was able to set Parent link on a story level view or any other issue type lower than Feature/Initiative. Now in advanced roadmaps that doesn't seem to be an option.

I have following hierarchy:

Initiative

Epic

Story (task, bug, defect, ..)

Sub-task

I need to be able to assign story level issue type to the Initiative as well as an Epic to an Initiative both using Parent Link.
If an Initiative is something that multiple teams are working on, some might have small contribution (few stories) , some might have an Epic size amount of work.

How do i make this work.

Thanks

1 answer

0 votes
Dave
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 27, 2020

Hi @Julia Hunter ,

Unfortunately it is not possible as you cannot skip hierarchy levels (i.e. you cannot connect a story directly to an initiative).

Your options are to either create an epic to "bridge" the stories or to just an epic and give it a smaller (although I appreciate that this comes with it's own problem as an epic will not be shown on the main backlog view but rather in the sidebar).

Regards,

Dave

Julia Hunter October 27, 2020

Can I skip an epic level in the hierarchy and just go from Initiative to Story(same level issue types:bug, defect, task) level?

Dave
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 27, 2020

If you mean in the hierarchy configuration itself, then sadly not. This is something of a historical remnant from the origins of Advanced Roadmaps (formerly Portfolio) and the way that epic were introduced into Jira.

The relationship between story level and epic is fixed (and you can't actually move the default epic issue type to another hierarchy level - although you can add additional issue types to that level).

The relationship between story and epic is the epic link, the additional hierarchy levels provided by Advanced Roadmaps are parent link.

You can rename the epic hierarchy level, but you cannot move the epic issue type. Alternatively you could create new levels above epic and just not use epic and below - but I'm not sure how well that would work in practice.

Regards,

Dave

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events