Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to define releases for sprint planning as well as long term plan with Portfolio

Vardhan Kale
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
July 2, 2019

We ship features every two weeks and all the committed features should be shipped to customers by 19.08.02 ( 2-Aug-2019) I created a release “19.08.02" in JIRA , included all epics in it and portfolio has made the plan for me and assigned user stories and bugs to different sprints. For all the user story added to the release, the field “Fixed Version” has been updated to 19.08.02. Before we started using Portfolio we used to create a release for each sprint and ship the product every two weeks. Our QA and customer support team used to track "Fixed Version" field to track all deliverables. Now that we have to have a long term release plan along with by-weekly releases, what is the correct way to track by-weekly sprint deliverables so that QA and customer support team knows what is being released in each sprint to prepare release documents. My confusion is due to the assumption that if we continue to create by weekly releases, I cannot add a story in short team sprint release and the long term release. Is this understanding correct ? If yes , what should be my approach so that I can continue to see the long term plan prepared by portfolio and also track what is being released in each sprint. Is my presumption correct that we need different custom fields to track long term and short team releases. If I create separate releases for each sprint for the next three months and assign issues to them, then I'll be doing the scheduling instead of portfolio and this does not seem to be correct approach.  It is a common use case, but I’m doing this for the first time. Any pointer will be greatly appreciated. Many thanks in advance.

0 answers

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events