Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Future Sprint in Advanced Roadmap, 2 weeks in Advance

Mike Lemmon May 4, 2021

Hi There:

In Advanced Roadmap the first Future sprint after the Active Sprint is not dated to immediately follow the Active sprint, it seems to be dated an additional 2 weeks in advance .. almost like there is a Hidden sprint in between.

Any thoughts on what might be causing this?

Thanks for your help, it is always greatly appreciated.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Dave
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 4, 2021

Hi @Mike Lemmon,

Are you on Server / DC or Cloud? On Server / DC it is possible to configure future start and end dates on future sprints (this isn't available on Cloud yet but is coming soon). That would be one reason for the gap appearing.

Regards,

Dave

Mike Lemmon May 5, 2021

Hey Dave .. thanks for responding .. much appreciated.

We are on the Server version.

I have been using Advanced Roadmap for several months now with no problems.

Now all of sudden the the first Future Sprint on the Road map is reflecting a starting date 2 sprints in the future...

In our Scrum Team Backlog there is nothing between the active sprint and the next one .. 

Thanks, have a great day.

Dave
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 5, 2021

Hi @Mike Lemmon,

Although there might not be a gap between sprints, it's still possible to create a gap by specifically configuring the start and end dates for a future sprint. Previously future sprint dates would be calculated entirely based on the order they appear in the backlog and the iteration length configured for a team in a plan (all relative to the active sprint or today if there was no active sprint).

However, now that you can give every future sprint it's own start and end date then the timeline in a plan will honour that.

So it's worth just looking at the next sprint on the board and checking to see if anyone has given it any specific dates. 

Other than that, I can't think of any other reason why there would be a gap. You can get a gap after a completed sprint before another sprint has been made active - but you've said that the gap is after an active sprint.

Regards,

Dave 

Mike Lemmon May 6, 2021

Hey Dave:

Dave when you mentioned "create a gap by specifically configuring the start and end dates for a future sprint. ".

I do not see how to do that in our Server version of JIRA, how is this done?

Thanks again .. have a great day. 

Dave
Atlassian Team
May 6, 2021

Hi @Mike Lemmon,

This will be dependant upon the version of Server (not Advanced Roadmaps) that you're using... the ability to configure future dates was added a while ago now though IIRC. The way to tell is to edit a future sprint from the backlog page and see if you have the option to set start and end dates for that sprint.

See these screenshots:

Screen Shot 2021-05-07 at 9.29.39 am.pngScreen Shot 2021-05-07 at 9.30.16 am.png

The UI looks very similar to when you start a sprint, but you can actually do this when editing any sprint even if it isn't active.

Regards,

Dave

Mike Lemmon May 7, 2021

Hey Dave:

When I'm in our JIRA Backlog, the UI looks a bit different that what you have shown, the only Sprint that I can edit the Start, End date for is the Active Sprint .. as per the following screen capture.

Is there something I need to do to enable editing the Start, End dates for future sprints?

Thanks....

Update Sprint Start and End Dates.jpg

Like Dave likes this
Dave
Atlassian Team
May 8, 2021

Hey @Mike Lemmon,

It could be that you're on an older version of Jira and don't have this feature yet (what version are you currently using?). If you're not seeing the ability to set the start and end dates when editing future sprints from a backlog then you don't have this feature. In which case I'm really not sure what might be causing this gap between sprints shown on the timeline of your plan. I would probably recommend reaching out to support to assist with this because without access to your system it's quite hard to debug what is happening here.

Regards,

Dave

Mike Lemmon May 9, 2021

Hey Dave:

Thanks for the continued support, it is greatly appreciated.

As the Active Sprint will end this week, I will see if this issue disappears when we set the dates on the next sprint.

If the problem disappears I will chalk it up to ... whatever .. lol.

I have seen a couple times that team members have picked Sprints for their User Stories from other projects which seemed to cause some things to not look 100% .. so maybe it is something like that causing this.

Thanks again, hope you have a great weekend .. and time with your .. Mother on this Mother's day :) 

Like Dave likes this
0 votes
Curt Holley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 4, 2021

HI @Mike Lemmon 

What are you using as the Issue sources? A Board, Project or filter? or a combo of/multiple sources??

Then for the board where the 2 sprints involve reside, what is the Filter Query of that board? Are there multiple active sprints, or multiple projects in scope of the filter query?

Mike Lemmon May 5, 2021

Hey Curt .. thanks .. please see my response to the post below...

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events