Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Filter for a single Jira that shows non-greyed out hierarchy?

Heather Barcomb November 12, 2020

I'm trying to find a way to filter a Portfolio Plan based on a parent Jira in a way that automatically includes all the children Jiras in the hierarchy WITHOUT greying them out.  I know I could do this with something like labels, but that will require more manual upkeep.  I can do this with just JQL, but I can't seem to find a way with the Portfolio Plan filtering options to do this.

We use the "Portfolio for Jira plan" Confluence macro, and ultimately, we want all child Jiras to not be greyed out in this macro, without needing to rely on something like labels.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Dave
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 12, 2020

Hi @Heather Barcomb ,

Thanks for the feedback on this... sadly it's not possible to achieve what you're asking for at the moment. When we created the design for this we wanted to find a way to clearly indicate issues that to not match the specified filter. The reason that this was important was that we still wanted to show issues both above and below matched issues within the hierarchy (i.e. we didn't want to prevent you drilling down into descendant issues or being able to see the issues ancestors).

We recognise that there are problems with the current implementation because it makes it harder for those greyed out issues to be read and they can be confused as being in a disabled state. To be completely honest we have yet to decide on a satisfactory way in which to resolve this problem... we have considered options like removing the faded state and just replacing with an icon on each row that matches the filter, or even just adjusting the opacity of the fade so that it is not quite so prominent. 

It sounds like you would just rather have this styling removed entirely? If that's the case would you not be concerned with not being able to identify issues that don't match the filter?

Regards,

Dave

Heather Barcomb November 13, 2020

I don't mind the fading in general.  I can definitely see the benefits of it in certain situation.  For my situation, just having a  filter option where you can use a jql query would work.

Dave
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 13, 2020

One option would be to use a JQL filter as an issue source and then (at least on the Server version of Advanced Roadmaps) you can filter by issue source (look for "Issue source" in the filters menu). That would then provide you the view you're looking for.

However, if you're looking to very quickly change the filter within the plan then that's not possible (because the filters in a plan are done in the browser, whereas JQL filtering is done on the server).

Regards,

Dave

Heather Barcomb November 13, 2020

I think this will work for us.. thank you!

Like Dave likes this
Abhi Singh April 26, 2021

@Dave we also use Jira Premium Adv Roadmaps in our organization, and I concur - I would prefer the filtering to remove the issues from our view. Thanks!

Like Dave likes this
Dave
Atlassian Team
April 26, 2021

@Abhi Singh I don't think it's possible to remove issues further up the hierarchy levels (without changing the hierarchy range) but just wanted to check you've tried unchecking the "Show full hierarchy" option in the filters menu?

Regards,

Dave

Abhi Singh April 27, 2021

@Dave yes, I unchecked that option and even then, there are grayed out items showing. I have a filter in place to show only In Progress items, but items in To Do are still showing. I can share a screenshot privately (have strategic priorities in here). Thanks!

Like Dave likes this
Dave
Atlassian Team
April 27, 2021

@Abhi Singh Are those greyed out options at a hierarchy level above issues that match the filter (i.e. epics are greyed out but stories within that epic are not)?

Stella Migliaro August 24, 2022

I would prefer an option to turn greyed out on and off for any particular view. I usually want to see the entire hierarchy. If I am reviewing the portfolio with the business, I usually filter for last sprint, current sprint, and next sprint. Because my initiative and epics generally don't fall into sprints, they are always greyed out which is not very attractive, and the initiative and epics are generally what we want to highlight. When reviewing the plan for resource and other planning, I might hide the initiative and having the epic and other tasks not specific to the filter greyed out is helpful. It would also be helpful, as I think was pointed out, to have the greying out be sooo "greyed out".  It is made worse by having the alternating rows grey, at least I think that is what is happening. The plan is just generally difficult to look at and comprehend.

Louise McMahon August 25, 2022

Hi Dave (or anyone within the Atlassian team),

Is there any update on this feature? We have a plan with all epics and sub-items and have a requirement to filter by epic and show it's issues and sub-tasks. The grey is very off-putting as the issues and sub-tasks appear disabled. Has there been any movement on this feature? 

Like # people like this
Kathy Jorgensen August 31, 2022

Agree - we have the same use case.  I am trying to filter on Initiative level and all issue types below that are grayed out but should not be as they are children of the Initiatives.  Please allow filtering without graying out.  Visually it is still very easy with the indents and different icons to understand the hierarchy.  We are trying to get this adopted and having a view with majority of items grayed out is a terrible first experience for those piloting and trying to explain why it's like that doesn't help with adoption.  Thanks in advance for an update!

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events