Recently a conversation started up in the January monthly challenge badge about the benefits of using confluence and convincing a boss to start using it....
well, for the addicts among us naturally we already use it and love, but for others maybe they still need to introduce it into the company. So I thought it was nice to compile a whole list for people like Mark to receive tips & tricks / benefits of confluence so he can build a nice business case to present to his boss!
Here's the original chat:
Mark Higgins 5 hours ago
Happy New Year and we are looking to get Confluence :-), so if there are some recommendations on how to explain how great Confluence is, to my boss, I'd be grateful.
Kat Warner 4 hours ago
@Mark Higgins - is there some recent example where there ended up being too many versions of a document being sent via email? Maybe v1 was sent to 5 people and you ended up with a v1.1, v1CEOedits, and v2 - all based on v1 and not incorporating the changes each other person made?
Confluence collaboration allows multiple people to edit the same document - with version tracking - and prevents multiple copies of the same document be sent around. And less emails!
Confluence has many uses, so it is often good to think of a 'pain point' relevant to the person you are talking to and focus on that example.
Andy Barker
@Kat Warner makes a strong point here. Despite SharePoint for the heavy duty files/media and Confluence for the day2day Dev/PM items, I still get attachments by e-mail.😨🤡
Trodios Bank had horrendous troubles with versioning and file sharing, so their Atlassian Evangelist championed the use of Linchpin to turn Confluence into a Social Intranet, not just for Devs or projects... but the whole organisation.
The 'pain point' is the most valid statement from Kat, so focus on that.
For TWNKLS our biggest challenge is structure and organisation.... in one project I inherited I had to clean up 20 illogical parent pages and 100 child-pages that didn't make any sense - so I forced everyone to use it properly and now we have projects with exceptionally clear structure:
(Wish I could show you more!)
