Does anyone know if it's possible to prevent the Epic Issue Type from being displayed when creating a new issue via the "Create Issue in Epic" feature (from either Backlog view or ticket view)? We have a lot of newbies to jira so guiding them down a proper selection path would be super helpful!
@Heather Rimmey, are you asking how do you remove the "Epic" issue type from displaying in the "Issue Type" drop down? If so here is how (in cloud, server will be slightly different)...
Project > project settings > issue types > Actions button > edit issue types then move Epic out of the list.
IMPORTANT: if this is a shared issue type scheme then I recommend you create a new scheme (copy the current one) edit it and switch schemes w/ the current project. This to avoid removing Epic from projects that still want it. :-)
Heather you may be able to use properties on the workflow creation step to limit who is able to create Epic issues. Some documentation for that is here: https://www.j-tricks.com/tutorials/permissions-based-on-workflow-status
Thanks for the suggestion! I'd like to try and avoid workflow control though since we have different ones by issue type.
Thanks Jack! My question is for the server version and I actually only want to HIDE the "Epic" issue type IF using the "Create Issue in epic" action.
The Epic issue type needs to be available in the project itself, but it should not be offered in this situation. It just doesn't make sense to create an Epic within an Epic and Jira does not even allow it - a new standalone epic just gets created.
I think the hiding of an Epic for issue type selection should just be built into the "Create Issue in epic" feature.
+1...
In case you've found a solution to that I'd be rather interested. I am trying to achieve the same with the issue type "Bug" in the "Create Issue in Epic" type selection...
Unfortunately, I have not found a solution yet. Will let you know if I do!
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.