How do I archive a project in Jira Cloud?
Hello,
You would need to create a project permission scheme. This permission scheme must not grant any permissions to anyone. In this case the project will be invisible.
You can find more info here:
https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiracloud/creating-editing-deleting-and-hiding-projects-844500729.html
Go to Hiding project part.
Hi @Christoper Lethbridge,
Currently, there is no possibility to archive a project in jira cloud. However, using the permission scheme you can hide the project from the users/group.
Here is the link for configuring a jira permission scheme.
Thanks,
Sravya
I would create an archive project and move all the tickets there with the label = project name and delete the old project, so in the future if you want to re-create the project is easy by getting all the tickets with that label.
Nice work around. Crazy that in a product for highly regulated environments there is no way to simply do this .
It's a basic feature that needs adding in to cloud. Where is this request at the moment (A year later)?
Thanks
Hi @Christoper Lethbridge
You can refer this documentation to archive a project in Jira Cloud: https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiracloud/archive-a-project-1013843066.html
This doesn't work for JIRA Cloud. Archive isn't an option.
How is this feature still not implemented? We have a project panel with over 100 project entries, and its simply a mess. Even in Quickbooks Online we can archive projects...
Sprints from these projects still show up in my other projects. This is ridiculous.
It's weird, because there is a space to view Archived projects.
I wonder how you get them there.
It's a premium feature. And if you move to premium, then back to standard, you can still see the archived projects. But can't archive more projects.
https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiracloud/archive-a-project-1013843066.html
That's so absurd. Looking at the differences between standard and premium, archiving is literally the only feature my company would use, but it's double the price. I hate feeling like the software I'm using is trying to manipulate me into purchasing higher packages than I truly need just to get features that should be standard.
Archival is a premium feature? Is it due to extra space they require?
Agreed, this makes Jira Cloud officially a non-scalable solution. The fact that this is still not developed makes me think I may change my primary delivery product to Salesforce Agile Accelerator.
Yes. We have a permissions scheme for "closed" projects, but it isn't the same.
i don't think require extra space, imho, it should cost less, since you could use a colder storage line for them... This is a basic feature that should be in the standard package, it doesn't add any value, it is just removing some noise to the user. And a user which feels disturbed, and has to by Premium his peace, i would say it is not a nice business strategy.
Any news on if this is a feature that will be implemented?
Hi,
this seems to be a nice a nice solution. However, we would like to hide the project itself from the users, but the logged hours in the project still should be visible. Should add users groups and roles for the following sections:
- View All Worklogs
- View Issue Hours
Or do you have a better solution for that?
Best regards,
Gabriella
Hi Gabriella,
Just add the users or groups you wish to be able to view all worklogs / hours to the permission to view them instead of removing access from everything to achieve this goal. I have a setup similar to this in our org.
I wonder if Atlassian does not allow you to Archive projects effectively to force users to approach the storage limits 🤔. There is an Archive feature on the Server version and is clearly desired by Cloud users!
Hi Zane, thank you for your quick response. My only fear is, that if I allow all worklogs for the contributors, than they will be able to see other people's worklogs as well... Is it not the case at your organization?
Thank you and best regards,
The url offering a solution https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/I-can-t-see-option-to-archive-project/qaq-p/1031305 appears now invalid... anyone have the info?
This is basic functionality that should be added to the core product...
Just to close this out as I didn't see an updated answer...
I don't know the exact implementation date but as of 2025-12-9 it is available for Jira Software Cloud.
Space archiving is only available on Premium and Enterprise plans. If you archive a space and then move to a Standard plan, you can still access the archive and restore archived spaces. However, you can’t archive new spaces on a Standard plan.
Related information: Archive a space | Atlassian Support
I don't know. Went to a repo cloud today and found no "Archive" option in the repo settings anywhere.Doesn't matter anymore, company has decided to move to Github Enterprise.
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.