When I go to Project Settings > Users and Roles, I can see I am assigned as the Project Lead (which is what I want), and the Default Assignee is set to Unassigned. I want the default assignee to be my lead developer (I just manage the project, any open tickets should be assigned to the lead developer automatically). When I click Edit Defaults on that page, it only gives me two choices for the Default Assignee: Project Lead and Unassigned. Why are those the only choices? Why can I not select another user? I've seen similar tickets opened 6 years ago and there doesn't seem to be a simple resolution to this problem. This is certainly not a fringe case.
I tried an ugly workaround I've seen other community members try. I added a post-function to the "Create" transition in the workflow that says "Assign to Lead Developer: Assigns the issue to the project/component lead developer". And then in my Project Settings, under Components, I created a component that assigns my lead developer as the Component Lead. However, when I create a new issue, it's assigning the issue to me--the Project Lead--and not the Component Lead. Does anyone have any ideas on why this isn't working? Or have any other solution? I really can't understand why the option to select any user as a default assignee is missing.