I have a custom field with 5 options. When I create an issue, I get a drop-down with None and the other 5 options. So far, so good.
However, when I view an existing issue and go to that field, I get the pencil icon and it says, Edit popup form enabled. And when I click on the pencil, I get a popup with the full issue.
Until very recently, this field worked as expected - the pencil icon said, Click to edit.
One of the references below mentioned the Move Issue permission, that I may have added, but my Jira user always had it since I'm the project admin, so it does not make sense.
I have no idea why I get this behavior on some fields and the desired behavior on others. There is nothing in field configuration that mentions these two behaviors.
Since I have not changed any field, I wonder whether this is a global Jira behavior that may have been changed by the Jira admin team.
Here are two references, but none provide a satisfactory answer/resolution:
https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Answers-Developer-Questions/How-to-disable-pop-up-option-for-editing-an-existing-issue-in/qaq-p/463210
https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/JIRA-5-1-2-questions-re-pop-up-issue-edit-window/qaq-p/261017
This is for Jira server, version 7.11.