With our Teams model we are currently only putting story points at the Story level and that is working really well. We are using Epics to basically breakdown a bigger project with multiple stories.
Currently we do not add Epics to our sprints just the story because it has the story points. I need to build a 2 year project plan and I am looking at Jira Portfolio and Big Picture.
What I am starting to wonder is if I should start putting story points at the epic level as well and add those Epics to Sprints?
A major question that I have is will this duplicate my story points in my sprint, for example if I have an epic with 2 stories that are both 8 pointers and at the same time I put 16 points for the epic and all 3 are in the sprint will that be 32 points when it should only be 16.
As I look at building my two year plan it feels like I should be adding points at the epic level. How should I handle this? How can the story estimate field help with this setup? Also are there any plugins for cloud that will add up all of the story points for an epic automatically.
Sorry for the long details, but my theory for planning is that I need a field at the epic level to add up all story points under the epic that will not effect my total sprint points.
What am I missing, is what I am asking for possible or is there another approach?
Thanks in advance for any input.