Our employees authenticate to cloud services (JIRA, Azure, etc.) with their username@domain.com. However they all have a primary SMTP address of first.last@domain.com. This presents a problem with Jira cloud. Our Single Sign on is standardized around username@wwu.edu (our domain). For example:
Jill Smith has a JIRA cloud account of smithj2@wwu.edu. She signs into JIRA and Azure with that as her username. She can receive email at smithj2@wwu.edu because it is a valid address for her mailbox. However she sends email outbound using her primary smtp address of Jill.Smith@wwu.edu. This means that Jill may submit an issue from the self service site as smithj2@wwu.edu. When she replies to a comment on that issue via email, JIRA creates a new issue and a new account because it does not recognize Jill.Smith.
I noticed that Atlassian support handles this with a proxy commenter that adds rhe commenr back to the issue on behalf of the unknown sender. Documentation does not describe how to do this. Any tips? And yes, I am pushing to have our primary smtp ,at home our usernames, but it may take a year or ore to convince the right people. I need a workaround until then.