I have modified my board settings to use JQL Queries for swimlanes and created queries based on Components, see attached.
However, I don't see these swimlanes when I switch the backlog. I only see these swimlanes when I am in the Sprint. click here to see screen shots
Can you configure the backlog so that you can look at items in a way that makes sense during your planning? If not, that seems really restrictive because the backlog can be very large and you might need to have a way managed reviewing issues. Can you only way to group items in a backlog is through an Epic? If so that seems to encourage some of the Epic Anti-Patterns discussed here:
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/stories-vs-epics-components-modelling-product-jira-piotr/
I can think of lots of scenarios where you might have enhancements/user stories or defects in your backlog without them being assigned an Epic. For example, a minor enhancement request to be able to switch between ASC and DESC sort order on a screen.
Am I doing something wrong in the setup and if not as anyone found a practical way of working around this without creating Epics that are basically equivalent to Components?