Hi all,
Looking for some best practice advice here - in particular to make sure we are making the most of JIRA reporting etc. We're on JIRA Software Server 7.4.
I am pretty clear that if a story has been started but doesn't get completed in a Sprint, I should leave the story in the sprint and when I close, JIRA notes that in the sprint report and takes the story back to backlog. That all sounds correct to me.
However, I have a situation that we are part way through the sprint and there's a story that hasn't been started yet, which the team feel won't be picked up in the sprint (eg: won't even be started). There is an opinion here that the story should now be removed from the sprint so the team are maintaining focus on the work they actually can deliver. I see some merit in that, but at the same time it feels like it's more correct to leave it in and show in the sprint report that we planned xx points, and that story was one that didn't get delivered. Otherwise maybe we'll be seeing an artificial view of what the team are planning vs delivering, what our true velocity is etc?
What are people's views on best practice on this please? Does it make any difference to how JIRA reports the sprint afterwards? eg: if some stories were started but didn't complete, and some were manually removed from the sprint.