My team is in the process of changing to Agile development and hoping to use the tools built into JIRA Agile. We work on web analytics, and I'm beginning to think Kanban is our friend because we do a lot of maintenance/bugfix work that doesn't really fit into the sprint model. We are trying to setup a process that makes our current work more visible to parties that are interested in getting their issues in our queue.
I setup a Kanban board with the project we've been using for years but I'm unhappy with some of the defaults. For one, the Done column is showing tickets from the very beginning of the project. I would "Release" them, but that doesn't really make sense as they were all released at various times throughout the last several years. Beyond that, "releases" don't really work for us because we often are applying hotfixes (after testing of course).
Another problem I have is that the Reports show issues from the beginning of the project. I would rather only see data going forward from the switch to Agile.
I setup a Scrum board as well, but Epics and Versions don't really apply to our group. Ideally, we still want to maintain some idea of "sprints" because we want concrete goals for when we will finish working on certain issues. Our manager wants to break work down to week long pieces of time where we can show senior leadership and interested parties what we're doing currently, and what we have planned. Some of our issues will span a greater time than one week though, so one week sprints don't work. Does anyone have some ideas for how we can configure a board to work for us?