The UI for BitBucket File compare is fine. The unified diff or side-by-side diff are useful. The whitespace toggle can be useful.
Too often, there is still a lot of noise in comparing text files. Sometimes it gets off a line, and then huge blocks seem to be changed. Many times, the results just aren't as useful as other file compare tools.
I guess I have a few questions around this:
1. Are there any plans to hook in an external tool for the file compare? This may be the optimal long-term "fix" as there are several different preferences of tools within various teams that I have noticed over the years. Just let users configure their own tool for file compare. I did not see any plugins that addressed this.
2. Are there plans to improve this? Is there a way to submit data for file compares that help improve the feature?