We have four epics that we are using as our swimlanes. When we go to our board, we'd like to see the Swimlanes ordered in a particular order. I am unsure how to make this happen.I.e. Epic 1 always on topEpic 2 always second, etc.Thanks in advance
Hi Kip, and welcome to community!
I really like the steps that @[deleted]listed in his answer to a previously asked question.
For Step 3, you will need to change the board settings to enable epic ranking. Board Settings->General:
I actually found a simple way to rerank epics (without creating a separate board).
Go to the backlog view, expand the epics quickfilters (panel on the left), click and drag to rerank the epics. The next time you view the swimlanes, their order should reflect the order in the quickfilter panel.
@Jeffry Orthober - thanks. I up-voted your answer as I am fairly sure this functionality came after my original post (or I had some other issue). I had been using this method, but I forgot my "community steward" responsibilities to post that solution here.
We recently updated to version 7.6.2 and if you enable Kanban backlog, you can also sort Epics in that view. This has the side effect of board users saying, "Where is that Epic?" when looking at the Kanban Board (active view vs. Backlog view) which only shows Epic that have Epics for "active" (non Open status in our case).
Bottom line we are using a combination of Kanban Backlog and the method described above.
PS I find the hover help descriptions a bit confusing. Kanban board with the views called "Kanban board" and "Backlog". I am starting use "Kanban - Active View" and Kanban - Backlog View".
Thank you both. I did search on the topic and did not find the previous post. I appreciate you both helping me out I'll be trying that today.
Great- you're welcome, @[deleted]- that's what community is all about
Here's more reading up on "Kanplan" using backlog:
https://www.atlassian.com/agile/kanban/kanplan
https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwarecloud/using-your-kanban-backlog-856846180.html (the "Organize Stories into Epics" part being key here)
@Mike McGowan- good to know and thanks for the update
Perfect! Thank you!
This is perfect, thanks so much!
Just what I was looking for, thanks!!
I wanted to share my solution in case it will help anyone:My kanban board have epic from differents projects, and even if i can order my epic among one project, I could’nt order one epic from one project to another…
The solution I found was to use the JIRA API rank issue:https://developer.atlassian.com/cloud/jira/software/rest/api-group-issue/#api-rest-agile-1-0-issue-rank-putIt work realy well and with the snipet exemple it was done in less than 5minutes ! (I am already a Python JIRA API user)
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.