I have been looking for concise ways to automate the interface between two workflows, but unfortunately am not enough of an expert to sort it out. Here is what I'm trying to accomplish:
- In Project "A" I have an issue type Issue "A" with a custom field that is a table built with Table Grid Editor. The table has a number of columns of data that appear on every instance of Issue "A", but the number of rows in the table varies across all instances of Issue "A", so call the number of rows "n"
- Issue "A" in Project "A" has a workflow associated with it. Upon a certain transition, I would like to create new issues in Project "B" of issue type Issue "B" based on the contents of the table in Issue "A". That is, for each row in the table, I want to create one instance of Issue "B" in Project "B" and populate some of the fields in that new issue based on a mapping of columns from the table in Issue "A" to fields in Issue "B". I also want to link all new issues created in Project "B" to the original Issue "A"
- I've looked at Create on Transition for JIRA as a means of initiating the issue creation at the time workflow transition, but can't figure out how to implement the multiple issue creation capabilities of the plug-in to pull data out of the table and use that data to create and populate the issue(s) in Project "B".
- I'm open to scrapping Create on Transition for JIRA and doing something completely custom in ScriptRunner for JIRA, but I'm not sure where to start there.
Any advice on how to implement the functionality I'm looking for would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.