Hi guys,
I moved from a company with a large chaotic JIRA instance to a new company that is just starting to use Jira. I have the opportunity to "build JIRA right" from the very beginning – very exciting!
That said, while I've been an admin for several years, I am looking for tips on best practice give the following requirements from my company:
-- Metrics and Reporting are important. Need to capture Original Estimate, time spent, etc., Need to be able to plot this in Burn down charts in Agile.
-- Screens and flows should be as streamlined as possible. Don't want issue management to be more burdensome than the actual work we are tracking!
Here are my initial thoughts:
- Make time tracking required – from what I understand, this will make the burn charts work correctly in Agile.
- Limit the number of admins in the system (don't want too many chefs)
- Establish early on a few templates for project types – and actually stick to the templates
- Limit the number of custom fields, and leverage context instead of redundant fields.
Any other tips? Plugin suggestions, or sharing similar experiences are welcome too. The focus again is ease of use and heavy use of metrics and reporting.
We will be tying into other JIRA software instances, confluence, hipchat, bit bucket, crowd. (If that helps).