We just purchased Service Desk, and we are now at the point of running through the beginning database-setup wizard (SetupDatabase.jspa).
We installed and setup PostgreSQL 9.6 according to this:
https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/connecting-jira-applications-to-postgresql-938846851.html
To create the user, I typed:
su - postgres
psql
CREATE USER jiradbuser;
To create the database:
CREATE DATABASE jiradb WITH ENCODING 'UNICODE' LC_COLLATE 'C' LC_CTYPE 'C' TEMPLATE template0;
To grant privileges:
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON DATABASE jiradb TO jiradbuser;
I'm now at the database setup page. It's asking me for the following, and here is what I typed:
Database Type: PostgreSQL
Hostname: localhost
Port: 5432
Database: jiradb
Username: jiradbuser
Password: I've tried our root password and no password at all.
Schema: public
I always get the following error message:
FATAL: Ident authentication failed for user "jiradbuser"
The directions on that page made no mention of a password being set, so I don't even know which password I should be using.
Just for kicks, I then set a password on jiradbuser using this command:
ALTER USER jiradbuser WITH PASSWORD 'thepassword';
I then typed that new password in the database-setup wizard, and I still got the same error message:
FATAL: Ident authentication failed for user "jiradbuser"