Being on, e.g., `https://<site>.atlassian.net/projects/<key>/issues/<key>-<#>?filter=allissues` is there an option to have "Epic Link" on the detail view of a Sub-Task. That would be of great benefit for gaining quick context while browsing through all issues.
BR, /nm
Dear @Normen Müller,
the custom field epic link is restricted to stories (and probably other issue types) and not visible for any sub-issue type. This is configured by default like this.
You could manually override this configuration, but I really cannot recommend. Sub-task are linked to parents and not directly to epics.
So long
Thomas
I wouldn't do that either, it could break in interesting ways.
However, I would see no problem in using something like Script Runner to provide a copy of the text in the Epic Link field on the sub-tasks. That could then be used in boards.
I'm on Jira Cloud. Still possible?
@Thomas Deiler As to me I believe "the custom field epic link is restricted to stories (and probably other issue types) and not visible for any sub-issue type." is not a good restriction. Imagine a lot of tasks and sub-tasks on a board. To gain a quick overview to which "context" those tasks/ sub-tasks belong a colorful presentation just helps. So colored epic links AND colored labels would be of a great benefit --- no matter if it's a task/sub-task/story/ ...
I totally get you, but it makes no sense. Atlassian introduced the epic as a kind of level above issues. So logically, issues can be linked to epics. Sub-issues where already linked with the parent relation. Over the path from epic link and parent link, the information is complete. Linking sub-issue to epics would build up redundant information. Than the whole thing is not any more a tree but a network.
What can help in your situation is, to introduce a swim-lane on epic level - then all in one block is visually divided from the rest.
so long
I totally agree that it is important to be able to see in which Epic the Subtask is relevant to. Otherwise the Boards presantation is useless for Sub-Task, as you can not see where each sub-task belongs. Sometimes the Task-parent is not enough information.
Hi there, has this problem been fixed? I would also like to see the epic link displayed against associated sub-tasks.
Thank you!
This is critically required.
The need here would be for teams that do no estimates and only do issue count on sub-task level not on story level since this is not detailed enough. the idea would be to see how manny subtasks for a specific epic is done in a sprint to calculate cost relations and other progress. It would not be used as a hierarchy tree configuration rather then a filter configuration. I would say that is why it is needed. I think this was possible years ago and it has now been removed. But there are workarounds that could work. But it will take time to add.
Um, sub-tasks are not sprint items. Their status is not relevant to an Epic directly, it only matters as part of contributing towards their parent story's completion status.
Very much needed in Jira Software.
It´s not as you say, of course that their status as other type of tasks is relevant to an Epic and to an any way to manage workload of your team.
Nope.
I think you have misunderstood what a sub-task really is. Specifically, they are not sprint items (and therefore not something you need to look at when managing workload or scoping an Epic)
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.