We have the Jira Service Desk email channel connected to our support email address which is an Office 365 / Exchange Online account. We have a problem with Jira not detecting some emails coming into our support inbox. It seems to be completely random: some emails are pulled/processed into Jira ok and others ignored.
The Jira email processing logs do not show any rejected emails. However the Jira email connectivity log repeatedly shows a mixture of success and failure entries. The connectivity failure entries mostly state:
"[AUTHENTICATIONFAILED] Invalid credentials (Failure)"
but also some entries that state only:
"authentication failed"
Under Administration > Applications > Jira Service Desk > Email requests, for the support email address I also clicked the "Test" button and it returned "No problems found with email settings configuration. Successfully connected to the specified email server." So the Test connection button works ok despite the intermittent connection errors in the audit log
I am not certain the connectivity failures in the email connectivity log cause emails to not be pulled into Jira - I would have assumed Jira should just detect any unprocessed emails whenever it does successfully connect? But I would like to eliminate these connection failure messages anyway to eliminate them as a possible cause of the unprocessed emails. Does anyone know how to fix these authentication failed log messages?
I did also see this other similar post for the same error text with a fix. However they were getting the error when they clicked the "Test" connection button but I am not, "Test" button works fine for me. And the fix in that post was to change the username to the full email address but I have already done that, so that fix does not work for me.
Can anyone suggest a next step?