I recently inherited a Confluence Cloud project and having little previous exposure to Confluence, I am not enjoying this experience.
At this point, I am uncertain is it's my ignorance of the tool and/or Confluence (and its macros) are very buggy. Please help me to love Confluence because I expect to have a long relationship with this tool. 
This morning, I began working on a large document, transferring my draft work from Google Docs (which I know well) into Confluence. I needed to embed a Draw.io drawing into Confluence and after about ten minutes of experimenting (it's not intuitive!), I got it to work. Here are the required steps to embed an existing drawing, please tell me if I am doing this correctly:
- Insert Draw.io macro.
- Click Create blank diagram (inexplicably, there is no choice to select existing??).
- Select File > Import from > Device.
- Select from my Google Drive Sync folder the drawing (in HTML format).
- Click Open
- Click File > Save (inexplicably, I need to save as a new document??).
- Drawing is inserted into the Confluence document but it is severely vertically compressed. It only appears normal after the document is publish.
Observations and Questions
- I do not see the options shown on this page:
https://support.draw.io/display/DFCS/Adding+a+draw.io+Diagram+to+a+Confluence+Page
^ Those are instructions for the Confluence Server version. The cloud version instructions seem to assume that one is always starting with a blank diagram. (https://info.seibert-media.net/display/DRAWIO/draw.io+for+Confluence+-+User+Documentation) - There must be a better way to embed exisiting Draw.io diagrams into Confluence? It's really annoying and somewhat time wasting that I must start with a blank drawing in order to insert an existing drawing.
- Why must I create a new copy of my drawings? Where is the new copy stored? Since many of my drawings are used in and out of Confluence, I am not at all comfortable that they are only accessible from Confluence. I would rather that the source files are kept in a more accessible Google Drive, which syncs to my local storage.
- It would be easier to insert an image but one of my requirements is to employ embedding for easier future edits. Like we did with Google Docs; Draw.io embedding works perfectly with Google Docs.
Thank you. 