We have an inbox setup to accept email tickets from staff and external users. We need to support two products so we have setup an alias on the inbox to support the second product.
Product 1: issues@product1domain.com (primary)
Product 2: issues@product2domain.com (alias)
We use two JIRA mail handlers and the Catch Email Address feature to divert the issue to the correct product. This alias works great when the email is sent from an external user (not provisioned in our Exchange). However, we have noticed this does not work when sent from internal staff. I have been investigating the behavior and I believe I have found the problem.
When the email is sent from an external address, the resulting headers of the email that JIRA reads is
To: "issues@product2domain.com" <issues@product2domain.com>
However, when sent from internal staff, the header changes to.
To: Issues <issues@product2domain.com>
When I test the mail handler, I get the following error for the email sent by internal staff.
Cannot handle message as the recipient(s) (issues@product1domain.com) do not match the catch email issues@product2domain.com
This seems like a bug to me.
1. You can clearly see issues@product2domain.com is listed in the header of both emails.
2. Why is issues@product1domain.com listed as a recipient. It is the username on the POP account but nowhere within the headers of the email in question.