Our Jira Service Desk is currently configured to process incoming emails from an email user account we've configured. Our Service Desk is for internal use only, and everyone at our company should already have access to the Service Desk project since they have an account on Jira - our Service Desk is configured so that "Customers who have an account on this JIRA site" can raise requests.
That said, we still want to make sure that all emails coming into the inbox we set up are being processed and creating tickets correctly. For example, let's say something happened during a new hire onboarding and the user wasn't given an account in JIRA, then that person tries to email our Service Desk and a ticket isn't created.
Based on my testing and the documentation, the following happens regardless of whether or not a ticket is actually created:
If you use IMAP, emails are marked as read (not deleted) after they are processed by Jira Service Desk. If you want existing messages to be pulled in by Jira Service Desk, you can move them back to your inbox and mark them as unread after the connection has been established.
I was hoping that I could get Service Desk to flag an email in the inbox somehow if the ticket wasn't created based on the new email - like adding a label, moving to a folder, or leave it unread altogether. If it did that, I could set up some Google Apps script to archive read emails, then set up some monitoring in another tool I have to see if there are still any emails in the inbox. However, since everything is just marked as read regardless of successful ticket creation, there's no way to set up monitoring to tell the difference.
Is there any other way to monitor this other than manually opening the inbox and comparing the tickets in the Service Desk project? I'm probably overthinking this, but I can't think of anything.