I am moving from our current situation of JIRA server to JIRA Cloud. Is there an easy way to migrate the data over or is this all a manual effort?
I found the answer on the Atlassian Knowledge Base
https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/migrating-from-jira-server-to-jira-cloud-779160826.html
Hi there,
Maren here from Atlassian.
I wanted to point everyone to our documentation, which answers the questions here as well as gives guidance on how to be successful with your Jira Server to cloud migration.
For more info to help you decide if moving from server to cloud is a good option for you, check out our Atlassian Cloud Migration Center. For Jira-specific advice, check out:
To address some of the specific questions raised here:
Hope this helps, and please don't hesitate to reach out with questions!
Although importing from the JIRA Server backup file works fine, there is no process to import Avatars, Logos, and Attachments. This essentially makes moving to the cloud almost impossible as the task to manually attach all of the files to issues would take forever given the amount of issues and attachments a company would have after several years of experience using Server.
The linked document is also outdated as the Cloud version of JIRA does not contain a link for "JIRA Import". The options under Import and Export header are: Backup manager, External System Import, and Restore system.
I used Restore system which only allows importing a JIRA Server backup file created using JIRA Server Backup manager.
Any suggestions on how to get the at least the attachments imported into JIRA Cloud from my JIRA Server and linked back up to the issues correctly? Avatars and Logos I can live without.
I'm trying a modify JIRA Server backup zip file with the following structure.
|---activeobjects.xml|---entities.xml|---data |---attachments |---avatars|---logos
We'll see if this works.
Any luck in getting this modification to work?
How old was your JIRA Server version? We are on 6.1.3 and thinking of migrating over to the hosted cloud solution. Would we need to upgrade our version prior?
Atlassian advises you to upgrade to the latest version of Server prior to your migration. You'll have failures in your migration if you are not on the latest version of Jira Server. If you have both Confluence and Jira, upgrade Jira first then Confluence second. If you go the opposite route, you'll deal with a ton of user and group related issues.
Hi, BryanT!
I know it’s a late response, but I hope my suggestion will be of great help to everyone looking for an easy way to migrate from Server to Cloud. My answer will be a third-party solution like the Help Desk Migration service. Our tool is highly automated which allows you to transfer data between instances with little to no effort on your side. And, if you thought things couldn't get better than that - we offer a free trial for all our customers. This way, you can test out the tool and see how it works in your particular case.
Feel free to check it out on Atlassian Marketplace: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/vendors/1215318/help-desk-migration
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.