We've been using Jira as a support (ticket) and internal development tracking system for about 6 months. Overall I'm very happy but am trying to find best practice ways to improve the support system aspects. We have about 200 external customers and are using a 20 User Jira license. We get around the 1:1 customer/license issue by not creating Jira users based on their email and instead share an internal "customer" user. Here is what we are doing today:
- We have external customers emailing and calling us to generate support "tickets".
- When they call, we have our support team collect information and enter it into the system as they are on the phone with the customer. Once they hang up, they can fill out any details, etc. This is working fine.
- They majority of our incoming tickets come from customers who email us their issues. They email to a common support@mycompany.com email address. We use the Email handler to populate as much of the information as possible. We currently don't create a Jira user for each emailing customer. This means our support team is forced to manually respond to all incoming email tickets. They reply to the customer from the support@mycompany.com email address, and they make sure to include the Jira issue number in the Subject so that any/all email communication from that point is captured in the issue comments.
What I'd like to do is open a 3rd way for the customers to create issues: via Jira itself (and slowly try to reduce the phone calls). That said, I don't want to create "Jira-users" for each customer which would change our licensing. We only have 1 Jira project, and I don't want customers to be able to see other customer issues or browse issues. I only want them to utiize our Jira site to create a new issue to help get better incoming data/details (vs. some emails that say "call me back, I have an issue to tell you about"). I've been reading a lot about different ways to implement this type of "unlimited" external customers that are not mapped to "Jira users" but I'm not sure I've seen anyone describe the exact steps to do it.
I prefer that they use Jira to enter the issues, and then Jira will automatically email them back sharing the "ticket" number they've been assigned (vs. the manual process now by our support team). From that point on, I don't really need to have them in Jira at all. All further communication can be done via email (by including the Jira ticket number in the subject).
What I'd like to do is have them create Jira logins (but internally don't have this create "Jira users"), use basically the same interface as our support team to create a new ticket, get an automated email reply with the assigned ticket number, and then when our support engages them via phone or email.
I "think" this might be possible (without using a plugin) by maybe pre-creating "fake" Jira users for each customer and then share this login information with them. Then put these "fake" Jira users in a special group that has limited permissions that can only create new issues and nothing else. As I said, I only have 1 Project, and I don't want customers to see all their open issues or other customer issues. They only need to create a issue and then leave. Is there a straight forward way to implement this? Am I even on the right path? Has anyone implemented something like this?
Thanks in advance.
-Michael