I am converting an XML file into a CSV to import a bunch of issues into JIRA 6.4Using this documentationhttps://confluence.atlassian.com/jira064/importing-data-from-csv-720412846.htmlHere is the example format listd
Assignee, Summary, Description, Attachment, Comment Admin, "Issue demonstrating the CSV attachment import", "Please check the attached image below.", "https://jira-server:8080/secure/attachment/image-name.png", "01/01/2012 10:10;Admin; This comment works"
How would I change that if the issue had multiple comments tied to it? Clearly I don't comma seperate them :P.
Hi Taylor,
Maybe I don't understand your request. You want to import issues into JIRA 6.4 from CSV and you would like to import an issue that has multiple comments. If that is incorrect let me know.
If that is what you're trying to do you would just separate the values as it states in Importing Data from CSV:
You can import issues with multiple comments by entering each comment in a separate column.
In the example you provided, "01/01/2012 10:10;Admin; This comment works," if you wanted to add a second and third comment you would two other column headings of Comment and add the comment under the columns:
Assignee, Summary, Description, Attachment, Comment, Comment, CommentAdmin, "Issue demonstrating the CSV attachment import", "Please check the attached image below.", "https://jira-server:8080/secure/attachment/image-name.png", "01/01/2012 10:10;Admin; This comment works", "01/01/2012 10:10;Admin; This second comment works", "01/01/2012 10:10;Admin; This third comment works"
Cheers,
Branden
Hmmm, okay that would work, but what if I am doing multiple issues, each with different numbers of comments?
I would like to know this also! The documentation doesn't explain how to do this..
I have the same issue. How to import issues with multiple Comments with an admin CSV import. I want to create the issues, and within the same import process import the comments. If this is not possible is it possible then to import the comments in a separate import process? Which key fields are mandatory then to have in then in the CSV file. Do I add a record/line with the Issue key and a single comment per line, and add a next comment with the same issue key in a next record/line to import the next comment if there are multiple comments in an issue in my exported data?
Thanks for some feedback!
Hi everyone,
Branden's previous answer is correct. You can import multiple comments on an issue if you're using the external CSV import. You just need to create a separate column for each comment, with the same header name. In turn Jira will import these as separate comments. This is explained during the import process:
The hard part here is making sure that your CSV file is formatted correctly. The number of comment columns your CSV file is expected to have is dependent on the issue with the largest number of comments. So if you have an issue that has 50 comments and that is the one with the most comments, your CSV file would be expected to have 50 comment columns in order to maintain the formatting. Obviously the other issues won't have values for all 50 comment fields, but at least one issue would.
To reiterate on Branden's example,
Assignee, Summary, Description, Comment, Comment, CommentAdmin, "Issue demonstrating the CSV attachment import", "sample description.", "01/01/2012 10:10;Admin; First comment", "01/01/2012 10:10;Admin; This second comment", "01/01/2012 10:10;Admin; This third comment"Admin, "another issue with only one comment", "blah test description", "01/01/2012 10:10;Admin; only comment for this issue", ,
This sample CSV only imports 2 issues. The first has 3 different comments, but the latter only has a single comment. You will notice that the last issue imported does have an additional two commas to help identify that there is no value to be imported for this field.
@Sufian RashidIn your case, I'm concerned to learn if you are perhaps using the Bulk create CSV import instead of the external CSV import. These two features in Jira are similar and often confused, but they have different options. I don't believe the Bulk create let's you map comments fields in. But if you go to the Cog Icon -> System -> External System Import and then select CSV, you will find that this import process will allow you to select the comment body as information to be imported.
@Andy HeinzerThanks for directing me in the right direction.
is this done only by an admin? Because I don't see these options
@Alphy Joseph,
External System Import is only accessible by admins.
For more details please see also:
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.