Hello,
Reading the documentation at https://confluence.atlassian.com/cloud/domain-verification-873871234.html I understand that Atlassian wants to make sure that we still own the domain thus the periodic verification of the DNS TXT record.
The way I see it is if someone would take over the domain for whatever reason, being malicious they could just set the same DNS TXT record we have at the moment. As of this, I do not really understand what problem the recurring domain verification solves.
At the same time, requiring the DNS TXT record to include the Atlassian token allows attackers to identify what 3rd party services we use and try to target those or, simply use the information for social engineering. E.g. if they figure out we use Atlassian services they may try to send malicious emails to employees pretending to be Atlassian, asking employees to change their password on a fake site. (so they can steal credentials)
I guess the question is: what problem(s) the recurring domain verification is intended to solve? The documentation does not really go into details. What attack scenarios were considered? What is the likelihood of those attacks to be successful compared to the scenario I have outlined above?