the field has value, as I am using a postfunction to set it and it shows on the edit/view screens. but when I add it to a transition field, it will not display
No, it's a known annoyance. JIRA has several types of "view" for a field, and a field must tell it which views it supports. Obviously, there's a view view, but it's also got edit, xml, search and I think there are some others.
Create, Edit and Transition screens all ask for the "Edit" template for a field.
The read-only custom field in JIRA does not have one, it's only got view, xml and search. So it won't come out on transition screens.
ok thanks Nic. I just had atlassian enable the jira toolkit plugin in my cloud, in the hopes I could get the Message (view) custom field type to show up on a transition screen.... no joy so far. Any insight on this tactic?
oh well. if I had read the fine print I guess I wouldn't have tried this. transition screen != edit or view screens
Message Custom Field (for edit)
(message)
A custom field whose default value will be displayed as HTML or as rendered wiki markup in OnDemand on an 'Edit' screen.
Module cannot be modified
Message Custom Field (for view)
(viewmessage)
A custom field whose default value will be displayed as HTML or as rendered wiki markup in OnDemand on the 'View' screen.
No, you're going down the right path (although they're turning that add-on off in some places).
The transition screen is an "edit", so a "message custom field (for edit)" will work here. The usual mistake people make here is to not put the message in the field's default value, they use the description!
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.