I have a fairly new set up. I am the admin. I have about 5 other users currently. For some reason I cannot "@" mention anyone but myself. Is there a setting somewhere?
Apparently they have to be part of the jira-users group, even though I created a custom group and gave it all the JIRA access I wanted.
That doesn't sound right. I can mention people outside JIRA users in the jira I've got here.
I agree it's weird, but I triple checked the behavior. I couldn't tag someone, added them to jira-users, could tag them. Did the same for the next user and so on. /shrug
I just quadruple checked it. I typed @a and saw two names. I removed one of them from jira-users and reloaded the page. When I typed @a I only saw the other user.
Even people who don't have permissions to view project can be mentioned via "[~email]".
Good to know!
I had the same problem and fixed it as followed;
You need to add Brose permissions to the group.
Go to: System > Global permissions > Click on dropdown 'Permission' and select 'Browse Users' > Now select the group you want to give this permission in the dropdown next to group > Click on Add.
This should give everybody in that group the ability to use @Mentions
I hope this helps!
This is the best answer!
Fixed my issue, thanks!
If you want to do this at a project level, goto your Project Administration Page > Permissions > Browse Projects (add role/group/user etc.)
I have Jira 4.1 and double checked my permissions, but when I type in the "@" symbol, I don't get an option to add anyones name.
All I get is an "@" symbol.
Does anyone know when feature was added?
Added in 5.0
https://confluence.atlassian.com/jira/jira-5-0-release-notes-269980782.html
JIRA 7.3.3 Administration Gear > System > Global Permissions > Add permission:
- Browse users
- The group
This is great info thanks!
Now, if I want a customer to have access only to one project, not the others, I assign them to a project role, and associate that project role to a permission scheme, allowing that person to have Browse Projects only for that project. But now I need to enable them to @mention people. Any ideas?
Make sure they have browse users permission.
This has nothing to do with what project they are using or have access to .
Awesome- thank you for this!! This fixed my problem.
You're welcome!
I have the same question: It seems that the browse users permission is global, but I would like a customer with access to only one project to only see the people that have access to that project (ie the development team and the users at that customer) but not other customer users that have permission to other customer projects. The goal is to protect the customers privacy and not expose their contacts to other customers of ours. Is there a way to do that?
How can I highlight user "@" in comment box of any project, I have put jira-user group under Browse Users but its not working , Notification is going but user is not highlight in comments. can anyone please help
Thanks
I have the same issue, they should be able to tag e.g. a specific group, but don't see other external users.
So I've found this page: https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/mentions-and-autocomplete-are-not-working-in-jira-cloud-779160727.htmlIn it it describes to Add that permission (Browse Users is not a default permission that exists in a default confluence install on the cloud). Scroll to the bottom of the global permissions page, and Add the permission and group. Should work after that.
THIS IS WHY I LOVE COMMUNITY.... 💝
As Jira Admin I always forget these little details (embarrassing... I know!) but have no fear! Community is hear! YEAH
And a 4 year old question too. BRILLIANT! 👍🥇
On my Jira it actually has to be [~username], which some times is the email, sometimes it is just the part of it before the "@" or the name.
If there are any complete idiots(other than me) looking for how to add an issue link in comments:
Entering issue number in square brackets [ABCD-100] work if the wiki rendering is turned on for that project. But Jira converts it to a link only after you save the comment, not before. Until then you just see it as plain text.
I wasted two hours checking field configurations and project settings without ever saving the comment. Jira convert the User mention(@username) to link without posting the comment and I assumed the Issue link would also work the same way.
That's handy to know!
Are you on Server, Data Centre or Cloud?
Cloud
Also good to know! Thanks for sharing @Anand_Sasi - have great day!
Thank you this fixed my problem.
What if the users don't auto populate at all?
Then there is most likely an issue in the settings of the Jira-Users-group.
I had same problem - could not mention or add watchers. Our admin added me to jira-developers and it fixed the problem.
Removing the user from the user group and readding the user to the user group worked for us for one user that was not able to mention.
@Andrew Peret that only a suitable option, if all your users are part of the same organisation, and you don't mind your users seeing everyone within your organisation when they try @ mention someone. The issue most people are explaining here, is that they have contractors; agencies; clients; and people not part of their organisation, and for obvious reasons you do not want them to SEE all other users in the platform, when they @ mention a user in a comment or ticket.
Currently JIRA doesn't allow you to restrict @ mention permissions in this way, it's simply either ON or OFF which doesn't work for most people. More explained here in this comment: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Can-t-Mention-other-users/qaq-p/5238#M436446
@Mark Hawkins , understood.
Our setup does restrict users more granularly. Mention permissions is not system wide, but at a group level.
I went through the forums and suggestions on how to resolve our issue, but nothing worked.
Only one of our users was not able to mention and he had the same permissions as other users that were able to mention.
To resolve, I removed the "broken" user from all groups and re-added that user to the same groups.
It is probably a bug and uncommon edge case.
Removing groups and site access from the user, then re-adding seems to fix the issue.
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.