Our product folks want to use historical data (not hourly estimates) to know what our roadmap of Stories might look like. We have a ranked backlog.
We are doing Kanban of sorts and have these statuses:
- Backlog
- Awaiting Development
- Dev In Progress
- Awaiting Merge
- Awaiting Quality Review
- Quality Review In Progress
- Awaiting Deployment
- Deployed
So I've got a cycle time graph. I selected all status except Backlog, Awaiting Dev and Deployed for Story issue type. To me this means "once the developer started working on the issue, it took X days to release that to our customers." The mean value I'm looking at (including non-working days) is 56 days.
I was thinking I could use this value to look at, say, the top 3 items ranked in our backlog and roughly get an idea about when they might hit our customers. But, I'm realizing now that a) that 56 days is how long it took to get that issue out to customers after development started. It takes into account the bugs and other stuff that was worked on that blocked that from getting release. Cool.
But, this number is a bit misleading since it looks historically from the POV of the issue, not the team. Like we released 4 stories to our customers in January that each took around 40 to 60 days. In other words, looking at our ranked backlog it doesn't necessarily mean that backlog item #3 will get out in 56 x 3 days since we have five people on the team and a higher capacity than that. But it doesn't mean I can somehow divide by 5 since some folks work on bugs, etc.
Am I thinking about this all wrong? I feel like the data is there, I just want to know how we can look back in history and very roughly predict where each Story in the ranked backlog might fall in a roadmap.