Is there any way to show subtakss on a JIRA Agile planning board? This would be most help when a feature can not be finished in one sprint.
Thanks,Chris
Hello Chris,
Actually, JIRA Agile will not count sub-tasks in. What we advise is to move them up one level. For instance, change issues to epics and sub-tasks to issues. THis way you will be able to manage them in a more feasable way.
If you'd like to take a look at a very detailed answer regarding this matter, please see here:
http://blogs.atlassian.com/2012/09/agile-qa-greenhopper-time-estimates-with-sub-tasks/
Benito Picarelli
Not a very useful blog post, doesn't provide a usable solution to the question and also includes some comments linking to GHS-5303 ticket which was made secret by Atlassian.
I agree, that link wasn't helpful at all. Also, the "change issues to epics" doesn't work when those issues already belong to epics, ie. Epic #1 has Issue #1 has Sub-Task #1. Converting Issue #1 to an Epic is impossible because then it can no longer be a member of Epic #1 (since Epics can't belong to Epics).
this for me is a major frustration with JIRA agile. I would like to associate a number of subtasks to a story and the distribute across the team (which could be in a different timezone) and then manage them across the Agile Board with all the easy to read transparency that this view gives me. Story points not being aggregated up from sub tasks is another major frustration.
Benito already answered this question, but that "answer" was not very helpful. Obviously if you have 10 issues with 10 sub-tasks each, you're not going to want to convert them in to 100 un-categorized tickets just to use the scrum board! Unfortunately it seems a true answer doesn't exist, so the best one can do is explain why Atlassian won't solve this problem. The link Benito provided does just that, but since he didn't provide a summary of it, allow me:
Atlassian has a very narrow idea of how their tool should be used, and when they use it they don't put story points on sub-tasks. Instead, they put hours on sub-tasks and use them for tracking. The way they see it, if they allowed sub-tasks on the scrum board it would amount to mixing planning (story points) and tracking (hours).
What the article doesn't actually say, but implies, is that they can't imagine anyone wanting to put story points on sub-tasks and use them for planning. This seems to be the real reason why there's no option to show sub-tasks on the scrum board.
My favorite part of the article was the end. After they just finished explaining why they won't allow you to use their tool in a way that works best for you they write:
"one of the key precepts of Agile is finding the way that works for you"
Thanks Atlassian, so I should find a way that works for me ... as long as it's exactly the same way you do it?
yep - there is pure agile and pragmatic agile...
Well, even in "pure" agile there's nothing that says you can't group your tickets within a given epic!
I agree. It would be very useful to have this feature. Complex programs can require this level of granuality, dont they? Is it difficult to add this feature?
Atlassian!! You need to change your ways. I also want to see my sub-tasks on the sprint planning board. Creating any sub-tasks becomes useless in an Epic or a Task when using Scrum planning then.
+1 for this request.
+1 for allowing full use of sub-tasks within agile boards, ensuring that hours & story points (specifically hours in my case) roll up and are summed correctly. Epics are better for large groups of related issues that span multiple sprints, while sub-tasks are best for sub-dividing a single task that will be completed within a single sprint.
+1 to have an option to see sub-tasks on Agile Board.
This is not about story points only. It is often really necessary to observe:
For sure separate JQL filters may be created as a workaround, but this is a tricky part and this option does not let you to see 'the big picture': you have to jump across multiple tabs back and forth and remain unconfident you did not missed anything.
I just discovered the add-in for Automatic creating sub-tasks, and I was so happy.. but just for a short time.. seams like I have no need for it as long as I cannot see the sub-task in my agile Board. This is on the top of my wish-list :-) Hope you find a way to implement the functionality, so the users of Your system can choose if they like to see the sub-task in agile Board or not..
At least show that a story has sub-tasks in the summary view. Is that already possible?
+1 for showing Sub-tasks in the Plan view
I just encountered this problem, and it appears that even the parent issue is not shown on the board, although when you go to the issue navigator, they're all there. I actually opened a support ticket with Atlassian because I thought were were either doing something wrong or it was a bug. Well, I still think it's a bug, actually! Good grief, even if it's a sub-task, it's still part of the sprint and should be shown!
Definetely need this!
+1 This would reduce the clutter of having issues that are more than just "related to" their parents. After this is implemented, I could simply have sub-tasks.
+1 Please add sub-tasks to the Backlog view under their tasks.
+1, this is crippling to not have it. So hard to prioritize within the sprint.
In my Opinion a realy MUST HAVE for the future.
+1 , I cannot believe this is not possible yet.
+1, any update with this?
Just came across this obstacle while setting up Jira Agile. Your solution of using Epic will not work in our company. Please let us know if this will be done in the future so I can move on with my setup.
Hi @Chris S, a technique that has worked for us is to create a custom *Link* type in Jira between tasks (not sub-tasks) and stories. This custom link allows you to create a similar association that exists between the out-of-the-box sub-task/user story relationship but enables capturing story points within tasks. Here's how you set it up: 1. Log in as a user with the JIRA Administrators global permission. 2. Choose > System. Select Issue Features > Issue Linking to open the Issue Linking page. 3. In the 'Add New Link Type' form at the end of the page: Enter 'Dependent' in the Name text field. Enter 'depends on' in the Outward Link Description text field. Enter 'is dependent upon' in the Inward Link Description text field. Click the Add button. Once you have this link configured, you can link tasks as 'is dependent upon' the user story. How to set the relationship in Jira tickets: Task [depends on] Story Story [is dependent upon] Task Side note: this is also a great way to create a Kanban release ticket that spans one or multiple projects. See http://bit.ly/1SnGRl8 for full article on linking. Hope this helps! -Mike
+1 for allowing me to show subtasks on the board. Let me choose.
+1 for to show sub tasks on the backlog/plan view... indented under main story would be nice..
I have found a temporary workaround:
Now each ticket in the Agile Board will also list any sub-tasks it has.
Screen Shot 2016-01-22 at 9.03.56 AM.png
Screen Shot 2016-01-22 at 9.04.34 AM.png
Yes Jim, I found a way this morning! Please see the other comment I just posted.
thank you for posting ) , but subtasks are not cards by themselves... is there a way to have sub tasks as individual cards?
No The main question is still open waiting for Atlassian to do something, but at least this small thing helps me a bit because I can at least see the tasks and the tickets in the same place.
understood, thanks!!!
+1 for config option to show subtask estimates summed for stories on the scrum board when using time to estimate stories (regardless about how you feel about this).
In my team's sprints, all the sub-tasks make up the story - by completing the sub-tasks the story is completed, so what Alexander proposes above is exactly how I would like to be using it.
Hi,
just stumbled over this conversation and would like to share my thoughts. I have not read the lengthy Atlasssian statement, so bare with me if i might repeat something...
Here is how some of our teams using subtasks:
In this case subtasks are not relevant for planning, nor for statistics.
What do you think?
best
@Benito Picarelli, is there an update on this issue? Seems like it is affecting many, incl myself, so would hope that it is fixed, or at the top of your backlog.
I think it's standard to create sub-tasks of a Story, assign to different developers to complete their sub-task and want to see it all in the board. And this includes seeing the effort per person.
Regards,
Anders
+ 1 for showing sub-task under Sprint planing screen
This is unbelievable. They won't let me use this tool the way I want to use it? No wonder everyone hates jira.
+1 For this "feature" - I can't believe this has remained un-resolved for this long
I did something similar, creating a Child-Task issue type and associated custom links.I also went so far as to create a separate workflow for Child-Task that has additional validations and post-functions to simulate the Sub-Task functionality. In JIRA cloud however it is hard/impossible to simulate the "All sub-tasks are complete/incomplete" rule set.
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.