After a given sprint I have some tasks which are not yet finished. I want to move these tasks into the next sprint. At the same time I would like sprint history to keep intact since a lot of valuable information I accumulated here. I would like to know best practice for moving the tasks.
It seems to me that it can be done in different ways – but each one has drawbacks.
The three options I can think of:
1. Make a copy of the unfinished task to create a “part two”, and assign this to the next sprint. If this task is also unfinished in next sprint it will have a part three and so on.
2. Remove the task from sprint X and add it to sprint Y.
3. Not removing the task from sprint X, but adding it to sprint Y – leaving the task in two sprints.
The drawbacks:
Ad 1) I would have to do the following manual steps: copy every task, close the original task, and maintain reference to the original task (subtask, link, textual or other?). Furthermore I would have to maintain the two new tasks as one which could be a problem for other integrations, and finally I would have the original task never finished – cluttering up the task views.
Ad 2) The history of sprint X will be destroyed the moment I remove the task from sprint X.
Ad 3) The history of sprint X will be destroyed the moment I start registering hours on the task which is in both sprints.
I am leaning towards option 2, and doing a manual export of the sprint before moving tasks.
I hope somebody has found a better way of doing this?
Regards,
Morten