Here's the goal:
Host Confluence/Jira/Possibly GreenHopper on my own machine, expose it through apache and make it accessible only to my team, for who i'll have created usernames/passwords. Right now this is all in the see-how-it-feels stage, but from my experiences with jira in the past, i'm sure i'm going to love confluence. I want to eventually host all my code on an internal server, and the apps there, and only have the website avaible on a godaddy site. [if it really is a better practice to pay to have the apps hosted elsewhere, please, more senior devs, give me your wisdom. I want input from guys who've done this because i'm just starting out (at hosting these things, not developing in general)and I don't really know what I'm doing.] I know that later i'll want to have a legit db attached to this instance, and i'll come around to that when it's time but for now i just want to be able to show my team they can go to a url(my server's static IP) and hit this 'internal' instance of confluence and show them how damn useful this kind of product can be for us.
I do not really understand how to expose confluence to outside acces in this way.
Here's the problem:
I'm a complete and utter n00b in this area. I'm more than willing to learn, I really want to. I just do not even know what questions to ask.
I notice there is what looks to be an instance of tomcat with my trial version of Confluence..
Did i even need to download tomcat seperately then? I assume not, after hours of tinkering.
Do i need to do some wild config file changes to get this thing working?
Aside from opening that port on the machine the outside world, what have i forgotten to do? I've already messed around in my router making sure that any ports requested from the outside 8090 hit my local 8090, and I added a rule in my firewall(not sure if this is redundant or not, noob here) I do actually have apache running on 80 but I don't really understand how to like, forward requests from 80, to 8090 where on my localhost, confluence is available. I also have an instance of tomcat up and running on its own, but it seems totally independent of confluence.
Seriously anyone who reads this far, you probably don't want to waste your time holding my hand all the way through and i can appreciate that, i don't want others to do my research for me either but i'm kind of churning here. Even just keywords along the lines of 'if you know about this hosting/ip/service/ concept, it might be wildly helpful' would be .... wildly helpful..
Seriously any help would be fantasmagorical. I love you internet dwellers. Thanks in advance!