As someone who has been here for a while, I can see patterns of repetetiveness in a good proportion of questions. This makes me think of a problem and a suggestion for an improvement.
The problem first - it's quite plain that people are not able to find much to answer their initial question (including me)
- Some don't bother to search at all, there's not a lot we can do to fix that.
- Most do search, but don't find a useful answer, even though there is often one or more questions that do answer them - that implies that search and/or tagging isn't working.
- Most of the repeated questions have very similar answers, and people who answer them end up saying the same thing over and over and over
Suggestions
- The simple one - a short batch of FAQs that would be part of the intial search for answers, and the people trying to help could point to. The FAQs should have common and obvious tags/labels to help, I think.
- The slightly more complex one - "existing questions" is a start, but an intelligent scan that looks through the FAQs
Examples - this week, I've seen at least five questions about running SQL against a Jira database. A simple pointer to a short page saying "don't, it's a bad idea becasue..." would be nice. Then there were the three "Jira doesn't do field level security, see JRA-1330" answers, and the handful of "Restrict issue type available by user" answers. The fact these keep coming up, over and over and over, tells me that something is not working here.
I don't have many ideas on how to fix this, the suggestions above are just things that would work for me (it worries me that I know the url to JRA-1330 without having to even look at it because I've referred people asking the same so many times). I'm not sure this a question really, but I think it's a subject worth a discussion, as Answers has been running for a while. We had the same problems with the forums, and I was hoping Answers would be better (it is, in other ways, but it's not helped with the repeated questions).