How to backup the Bitbucket on cloud?Does Atlassian have a backup? Is it restorable?
Bitbucket Cloud is backed up regularly by Atlassian. Atlassian has the ability to restore from its backups but otherwise you should not have to worry.
If you are still concerned, Git is a Distributed Version Control System, you could always just sync your repository to other locations to back it up.
You can read about this more here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=288658413
I hope that helps.
Update for 2020:
When I originally wrote this comment in 2016 I thought that people were mostly concerned about Bitbucket as a platform losing their data. However, that does not seem to be the concern in all of the recent comments so I feel like an update is required.
It seems that the most common concern these days is from mistakes that people might make on their own repositories and people desire the ability to fix these themselves by restoring from a Backup. I don't work directly on the Bitbucket Cloud team but I can direct you to the three issues in the public backlog that may track towards this.
Please vote on the issue that best reflects what you would want to see implemented and please comment on the issue with why you would want to see it implemented so that Bitbucket Cloud PM can triage the requests. Cheers!
Like Massaioli, I'll assume you're running Git, but the same advice applies to folks running Mercurial:Robert Massaioli [1]> Git is a Distributed Version Control System, [so] you could always just sync your repository to other locations to back it up.Better yet, remember that1. Your Cloud repo is just a remote of your local repo, which is just part of your local work directory, which is (wait for it ...) on your local file system! which you should be backing up regularly! if you value your sanity.2. Your local repo is only part of your local work dir. Your local work dir(s) should contain all code (wait for it ...) on which you are working. Your repos (local or remote) are not backups for your local work! They should only contain work that has been finished (e.g., tested). So you still need to backup your local work dir--i.e., your local filesystem--even if you have a remote repo.
Your answer in is conflict with the provided link:
"Our backups are for disaster recovery purposes only. We are not able to use our backups to restore repositories that have been deleted by an end-user."
To me this means that end users do not have access to backups.
I suggest taking a look at SCM Backup tool: https://github.com/christianspecht/scm-backup
We've been using this tool through a Jenkins job to take daily backups of our git repositories. It's very convenient and works cross-platform.
Any update on this? We want to ensure, no repository is lost, when some dude accidentally deletes a repository.
I'd suggest taking action instead of waiting for Atlassian to come up with a reasonable plan. Because obviously they won't do that soon. Please check my answer to the question. I believe you can benefit from it.
Sounds like a good idea except for these inspirational words: "So far, SCM Backup has been written and tested on Windows only. Technically, it should run on Linux and MacOS as well, but this has not been tested yet."
Then I should clarify: we have been running it on an AWS Linux machine for a few months and recently switched to Ubuntu 18.04. It has been running successfully so far. Besides regular checks, I also tested the recovery process, which went well.
Great! Thanks for the feedback @Haas
I think I'll deploy to Kubernetes.
For anyone looking for a quick solution, here's a Docker file which will back up your Bitbucket repos easily.
## Dockerfile for SCM Backup ## With thanks to Christian Specht for creating SCM Backups.## 1. Install Docker## 2. Copy the contents of this file to a file called 'Dockerfile'## 3. Create settings.yaml -- see https://docs.scm-backup.org/en/latest/config-bitbucket/#authentication## 4. Build Docker Image:## docker build -t scm-backup .## 5. Run the backup with output to ./bitbucket-backups:## docker run -t --mount src=`pwd`/bitbucket-backups,target=/scm-backup-out,type=bind scm-backup#FROM ubuntu:18.04WORKDIR /scm-backup# Install .NET core and SCM BackupRUN apt-get update && apt-get -y install software-properties-common && \ add-apt-repository universe && apt-get update && \ apt-get -y install sudo wget unzip apt-transport-https git && \ wget -q https://packages.microsoft.com/config/ubuntu/18.04/packages-microsoft-prod.deb && \ dpkg -i packages-microsoft-prod.deb && rm packages-microsoft-prod.deb && \ apt-get update && \ apt-get -y install dotnet-sdk-2.2 && \ wget https://github.com/christianspecht/scm-backup/releases/download/1.2.1/scm-backup-1.2.1.552abf5.zip && \ unzip scm-backup-1.2.1.552abf5.zip# Copy settings.yml from local filesystem to the container (rebuild every time settings.yml is updated)COPY settings.yml .# Run the backupENTRYPOINT dotnet ScmBackup.dll
Thanks @Rori Stumpf. This looks great! I'm sure there will be a lot of people who can benefit from this. If Christian agrees, I'd like to take this to the github repo of the project, so it can reach to more people. Is that OK with you?
@Haas Thanks for the offer but I am actually working on cleaning it up and will create a pull request for the Github repo. Should be done in a few days.
@Rori Stumpf hows the progress on that?
The scm-backup solution works well.
Thanks Hass!
deleted
Absolutely ridiculous - we just became premium members and cannot believe the LACK of backup/restore for a premium cloud service... both non-existent and for some minimal functions, non intuitive. Anyone from Atlassian here that can provide some insight on what they are doing in this area?
If you JUST want some simple way to backup your stuff, see this issue.
Peter
that doesn´t cover how and what reasons atlassian is used for. There are whole bunch of functionalities to link between source code and product/project management (jira) and some need to guarantee that correct connection between change issues/features/bugs and corresponding changes in the source code for eg. regulatory reasons.
Therefore a FULL backup is needed which means quite a lot more than "only" the sources but furthermore a whole history, users, links, etc,.....
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.