Is it possible to limit user browsing so that a user only can see other users which are in the same group or in a configurable group/groups? We do not want to grant the "Browse Users" global permission so that every user can see every other user for @ mentioning. But without the "Browse Users" global permission the mentioning doesn't work
No, you can't limit the group visibility to "same as me"Atlassian have not even tried to implement it. It is a bit of a pain for certain cases, but there's massive logical problems with implementing it. Off the top of my head:
Sort of. You can apply security schemes to issues that limit access. You can setup a default security scheme. Check out https://confluence.atlassian.com/jira/configuring-issue-level-security-185729623.html to start.
It would make a lot of sense to move permission to "Browse users and groups" from the global scope to the project level.
As a project team member, I want to browse only people from my projects instead of the entire directory or users and groups.
I'm afraid that is a non-starter. Working out "who is in my project" becomes exponentially difficult because of Jira's flexibility, and, quite often, people are using mentions because they want to draw in someone who is not "in the project".
I would like something that skips groups and uses its own rules. I should be able to group users into silos and people can only see people in their silo. With the option to make any silos globally available if necessary (e.g. everyone can see the support team silo, even when they're not a support person)
Jira does the "is user on project" check already when deciding to show or not the project in the dashboard and elsewhere.
No, it does not.
It checks if a user has view issue, and create issue. Project "users" can be a lot more complex than that. Those are relatively simple checks, optimised, nothing to do with other users, and are absolutely not "is user on project" checks.
It is a bit weird that even if you use custom permission scheme, and lets say give a specific group of external users (client) specific permission to Manage Watchers and View Voters and Watchers, they still can't do that because global permission says only our internal groups can browse users.
Like a bunch of others in the community, our clients must not see a list of all JIRA users, but they should be able to see/mention/add to watchers users who are specifically assigned to that project like how it works for Assign a user.
Sorry for reopening this, but I am desperately trying to find a solution, it still evades me.
I have the same issue. We have JIRA Core deployed and need to be able to restrict who can view/browse a project due to the sensitive nature of the work.
This thread is not about who can see projects, its about who can see the user lists.
Sorry, belted "send" too soon on that, and then went into a tunnel with no reception. Here's what I should have said before posting:
Jira does not restrict, it only grants permissions at the project level (issue security is a different story).
In theory, this is really simple, because all you have to do is set the permissions so that "users matching a rule can see the issue". That grants permission. It is often by saying something simple like "users in the role of 'user' in the project can see it", and then putting the users (or groups) you want into that role in the project.
But.
Jira ships with some terrible defaults which automatically grant access to anyone with a login, and before you can use the simple, sane and reasonably intuitive rule above, you have to unpick these dreadful defaults, so that you can actually do it.
There's a good guide to it over at https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/JIRA-Software-project-permission-restrict-user-access-to-one/qaq-p/779572
Thanks Nic...sorry about posting in wrong topic thread. I will heck out the link.
We have the same issue:
"It is a bit weird that even if you use custom permission scheme, and lets say give a specific group of external users (client) specific permission to Manage Watchers and View Voters and Watchers, they still can't do that because global permission says only our internal groups can browse users.
Sorry for reopening this, but I am desperately trying to find a solution, it still evades me."
Thanks!
Hi there,
I agree that it is an important problem which needs to be resolved. I also don't think that it affects limited users, most possibly they didn't want to spend time to struggle it.
I struggled with this issue several years ago and couldn't resolve. Whenever I add temporary users (generally outside of my company) to a project team, I needed to decide If I want them to access all users list in my company or not.
I assumed that Atlassian Team might recognize this problem and at least provide a workaround as solution. Now I'm sitting on the next side of the table as business owner and I have vendors...
Currently we are working with a vendor with 5.000 users. They are using on-prem version of Jira. They created a new Jira Project for us and created temporary project users for us to let us open our issues over Jira. Once I realized that I can't use mentioning functionality, I asked them to allow us to mention. However, the answer was:
"Due to GDPR, we can't give you the rights to use mentioning"
I think they are totally right. Otherwise, I'll be able see each and every users' names, profile photos etc. working in their company. I can even mention their CFO, which is ridiculous.
So please consider again to provide "limited mentioning rights" functionality which allows users to mention only the people who are in a specific group.
Thanks...
Thing is, there is no "problem" here, and GDPR has nothing to do with it. People you choose to have access have it, other people do not. If someone has an account, they've agreed to use the system, including getting email from it.
Quoting GPDR here feels like someone does not understand the law at all. I'd start to fix this problem by questioning the misunderstandings.
nic, as far as we understand GDPR, there is a problem, but from the usage POV:
If there is a contract not specifically stating that client agrees with showing all of his employees to all our other client' employees, we would be breaching GDPR. As without consent on being visible and being able to see others, this doesn't work.
We can't offer a contract allowing that, and here you are right, this is not a problem of GDPR, but of business and trust. But now I have another problem. This function started to work for reason unknown to me. I added a client user group to one project, assigned Browse users global permission, and viola, external users see only users, who have e.g. browse permission on that specific project.
Nic
You might have to reconsider that GDPR has nothing to do with it.One of our customers is not willing to be seen by other customers of us. So, he executes the right to privacy for himself.
Doing the obvious, namely removing the "browse users and groups" global privilege, prevents everybody from browsing that customer (and all other users) - and removes @mentions.
That's why GDPR would more or less require that Atlassian puts an opt-in on the user. That would make things not a lot faster, I know - and it would also prevent this user to get @mentioned period. Even in his projects. So, we'd need an exception to this rule...The full picture would be that we'd need a way to restrict browsing to project members. Using groups, you can create some exceptions to that (by, for instance, having all of your devs in all of your project's privilege lists). But I can't think of another scheme that would solve things in a team cololaboration friendly and GDPR compliant way.
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.