I've just started using Bitbucket. I was wondering if there's a way to keep track of all commits pertaining to a particular issue. If this possible using Bitbucket, how?
First you need to decide if you want to use Mercurial or Git. They are both Bitbucket supported DVCSes and thus have similar high-level usage patterns but the details are naturally (very) different.
With both tools the way to group commits is to use branches. Branching with Git is very well explained in http://git-scm.com/book/en/Git-Branching-What-a-Branch-IsIf you choose Git as DVCS to use with Bitbucket I recommend you read the book from cover to coder. I'm not familiar enough with Mercurial to tell you the authorative Mercurial text - Google will find a lot of material (including http://hginit.com/).
So if I wanted to view all commits related to the issue when I view that issue via Bitbucket, all I need to do is create a branch. Is there a naming convention I should follow?
There is no branch naming convention enforced by Bitbucket/Git, but naturally you should have a convention so that it's easy for humans to find issue related branches. Bitbucket also seems to have a word about branch workflows: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/BITBUCKET/Using+Git+branches
I really recommend you to start with http://git-scm.com/book/en/(or similar for Mercurial). DVCSes are versatile powertools that require an initial effort.
I undestand now. So bascially inorder for me to see all commits related to an issue whenever I view that issue via Bitbucket the procedure below solves it:
Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Points #1-#3 seems to be correct but I'm not sure what you mean with points #4-#5. I'm afraid you don't have yet good enough understanding about Bitbucket and Git and Bitbucket's limited issue handling capabilities.
Or do you mean mean "Including Issues in a Commit Message":
https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/BITBUCKET/Resolve+issues+automatically+when+users+push+code
Now when your commit message includes a string: "see issue #34" the commit will be linked to the issue.
You can just create a test repo and trial the workflow there.
Anyway I think you're now on the right track. Hope this helped you !
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.